Trapping

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
By the way, here is an update on the squirrel hunt. We went out today for the first hunt of the season, and a lot of walking and listening turned up one squirrel. We followed many others but with no clear shots, as the leaves are all still green on the trees here. Here is a photo of the hide stretched out.

Attachments

• photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 155

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid I used to have about 10 rabbit boxes
I used to catch a lot of rabbits
Just ate them never tried to tan the hides
You got me thinking about making me a few :)

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
By the way, here is an update on the squirrel hunt. We went out today for the first hunt of the season, and a lot of walking and listening turned up one squirrel. We followed many others but with no clear shots, as the leaves are all still green on the trees here. Here is a photo of the hide stretched out.

Nice! Do you sell them too?

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OneFineAcre: A lot of people in my region really like/purchase rabbit hide, and I have a set of instructions saved on how to make gloves/mits from their hide as well.

SkyWarrior: Once I have a few of them done, I am going to advertise them in the paper here for $1.50 a piece, as they only fetch 97 cents at NAFA auction. If that does not work out, I am going to incorporate them into some of the crafts I make, such as turning them into walking stick handles, painting on the hide, or other various things. The tails I have separated, and I salt them down and make sure they dry out STRAIGHT, as people use these sometimes to make fly-fishing lures from. Like I said, once I have a nice amount stored, I am going to start selling.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just reread your post. You have squirrel seasons? LOL. They're considered nongame here and can be taken anytime. Same with rabbits and other small game.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just reread your post. You have squirrel seasons? LOL. They're considered nongame here and can be taken anytime. Same with rabbits and other small game.

Yep, we do! Squirrel is September 15th to February 29th, as are rabbit. Even possum and raccoon have seasons. But guess what DOESN'T, and is game all year long: beaver, nutria, groundhog, starlings, crows, blackbirds, BOBCAT, COYOTE, FERAL SWINE, AND FOX! These all have no bag limit, and no closed season. Some are limited to certain times of hunt, or tagging, but otherwise no limit on how many or what time of year. Can you believe that?

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep, we do! Squirrel is September 15th to February 29th, as are rabbit. Even possum and raccoon have seasons. But guess what DOESN'T, and is game all year long: beaver, nutria, groundhog, starlings, crows, blackbirds, BOBCAT, COYOTE, FERAL SWINE, AND FOX! These all have no bag limit, and no closed season. Some are limited to certain times of hunt, or tagging, but otherwise no limit on how many or what time of year. Can you believe that?

Now you have me looking everything up! :caf Residents are allowed to shoot nongame and predators without seasons or even tags.

Our nongame species list:

"There are a number of species found in Montana that are classified by Montana statute as nongame wildlife, some are shot for sport while others are shot for consumption. Examples of these species include raccoon, red fox, badgers, hares, marmots, tree squirrels, ground squirrels and prairie dogs."

Our predator list:

Montana statute classifies predators as coyote, weasel, (striped) skunk, and civet cat (spotted skunk).
Of course we have other predators such as wolves, bear, lynx, mountain lion, bobcat, wolverines, and other critters, but those are govern by law on how to take them. We also have furbearer licenses for trapping.

We don't have feral swine up here, but if we did, you can bet I'd be shooting one. Mmmm, pork!

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sky- certain animals require a furcatcher/trapping license, and one of the biggest things is that they track fur sales. If you sell your hide, you are required to keep a list of the names and addresses of those you sold them to. This is to make sure you aren't trapping/selling out of season. Our seasons begin in late November in order to make sure they have thick, Winter hair already coming in. Like I said, I will be posting photos as we go. I have my squirrel hide (for personal, art use) still salting, which is drawing all the moisture out very well.

Latest posts