Treat for chicken and info on why the are good.

Leahs Mom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't worm either. Have had my oldest girls for 5 years and no worming.

But...
My birds do get out to range, in the sun and grass, etc. which probably makes them healthier than they would be if they were confined.

Leahs Mom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh...and I give my birds raw ground meat whenever they can't get bugs...like in the winter. But I'd much prefer to be feeding the bugs since the whole body has many more nutrients than just the meat. The problem is that the bugs (say mealworms) lb. for lb. are much more expensive than even grassfed meat.

I don't purchase meat from the grocery, however. It would be too dangerous to feed raw meat from the grocery. I get grass fed only from a farm.

Remember that they will eat most any meat that they can catch like a mouse, toad, snake, etc., so they are definitely meat eaters. @oldhenlikesdogs birds are out on range every day and they get all kinds of meat (in which I include bugs) that she likely never sees.

It's just during the winter that is an issue to me. And also when they can't range and find it themselves.

I've never fed them chicken/poultry, however. I know lots of folks do, but it just doesn't seem right.

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Leahs Mom , I have watched mine run with frogs, mice and dead birds, so they definitely will eat meat, but I have never intentionally fed it, and what they do in the field is their business. I'm not familiar with feeding meat, so thanks for adding your experiences.

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Leahs Mom , I have watched mine run with frogs, mice and dead birds, so they definitely will eat meat, but I have never intentionally fed it, and what they do in the field is their business. I'm not familiar with feeding meat, so thanks for adding your experiences.