Treating for whipworms (anyone???)

redtailgal

Reaction score
How would you treat for whipworms?

I'll be getting a fecal done tomorrow to make sure this is what is going on.

We tried three days of Safeguard for goats at triple the dose, but only did it once.

I think we need to be a little more aggressive.

What would you use? How would you dose it? and what would you repeat with? how would you does that? and how long between the two wormings?

eta: I have Liquid SafeGuard for goats and Cydectin pour on for cattle here and available.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Safeguard

1ml / 4.5 # (when using the goat suspension that contains 100mg/ml)

Treat for 3 days in a row

Repeat at 3 weeks

Repeat at 3 months

Then repeat 2x yearly for 3 years

Whipworms are extremely hard to treat and live a really long time in the soil so you really have to follow the above protocol.

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you have dogs you should treat monthly. I know you have your elderly one, not sure what you should do for that one. We have whipworms on our property and we have to treat everyone. Once it's on your property, your toast. :(

We also try to rotate the pasture and treat the area with a good lyme drenching as often as possible...

JustKiddin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Now is that 1 ml to every 4.5 lbs??? I bought some goat safeguard and it said to give .6 per 25lbs of body weight

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
JustKiddin said:
Now is that 1 ml to every 4.5 lbs??? I bought some goat safeguard and it said to give .6 per 25lbs of body weight
1 ml per 4.5 pounds of goat body weight is the dosage for treating whipworms in goats.

Safeguard is a heavily overused product that many worms have become resistant to.

For tapeworms I use 1ml per 10 pounds of goat body weight.

The only other time I would consider Safeguard is as a combo with Ivermectin for lungworms.

You should consult your vet to find out what dosages and what drugs are still working in your region.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Could not find a vet to run a fecal today. My usual vet is closed for the holidays and the ER clinic "doesnt do goats".

I got the stuff to do my own fecals in today, and will do that tomorrow and then follow up with doc on Mon.

The boys are eating a little better, they ate about half their ration tonight. Plato still does not have the runs, just a poor appetite. Socrates still has the poor appetite but his poop was "puddin" and not squirts tonight.

I am getting this info from my hubby who had to do chores tonight (he gave probios to both of them).

I appreciate the information from you folks.

sunny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The whip worms that affect dogs are a different species than the ones that affect sheep, goats, and llamas. Your dogs should be safe.
The vets don't want you to know that Safeguard also treats Giardia in goats, dogs, etc. It's good to have around for that if it's a problem in your area. Giardia is often associated with whipworm being opportunisic, the high doses of Safeguard for 7 days will treat both.