Treating mange in sheep?

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think my ewe Barbara has mange. The vet told us that's what it was and we decided it wasn't because none of the other sheep she was with got it, but the other day I was at a meeting for animal health and the showed pictures of it, it looked just like her. It's around her eyes and on her ears and gets scabby. It's so gross 🤢 like it gets these black scabs but they sometimes will come right off and not bleed at all. And her ears will get all sticky it's horrible. So I have putting a mix of neam and olive oil on her every other day, and that will keep it from doing that but a few months ago everything had went away, there was no hair but the skin was normal no scabs or sticky stuff. So I stopped doing it and like 2 weeks later it came back so bad! It also made the area around her butt/dock get like swollen almost but no scabs. But her chin and nose have a few scabby spots. I feel bad for not treating it like the vet said to but I forgot what they said :confused: so I'm asking yall. Sorry lol thanks in advance for answers.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve never had that problem and don’t have any advice, but I didn’t want to ignore you. Maybe you should call the vet and ask.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’ve never had that problem and don’t have any advice, but I didn’t want to ignore you. Maybe you should call the vet and ask.
Thanks for the thought. If nobody here could help I was going to ask a vet, the ones here are hard to answers from so thought I would post here first haha

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sadly, from what I remember mange is difficult to eradicate.

So, toxic chemicals, and you need to perfectly stick to the recommended schedule.

Can you just go to the feed store and see if they have something? And follow the directions on the bottle?

If she is a show or wool only sheep (so, you will not eat her), and there isn't a mange treatment for livestock/sheep, then you can just grab mange treatment for dogs.... Google first to make sure there isn't some odd sheep sensitivity to the ingredients... then go at it.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sadly, from what I remember mange is difficult to eradicate.

So, toxic chemicals, and you need to perfectly stick to the recommended schedule.

Can you just go to the feed store and see if they have something? And follow the directions on the bottle?

If she is a show or wool only sheep (so, you will not eat her), and there isn't a mange treatment for livestock/sheep, then you can just grab mange treatment for dogs.... Google first to make sure there isn't some odd sheep sensitivity to the ingredients... then go at it.
We looked at the feed store the other day they didn't have anything. I think we're going to try to call the vet today. Thanks

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is my understanding from reading James Herriot books (I am not a vet, but I read a lot about them and watch them on TV 😂) that mange mites in dogs are kind of omnipresent, and only thrive/colonize on certain dogs that are not resistant to them. Most dogs are not hospitable hosts to them. Maybe it is the same in sheep?

I hope the vet is able to help you.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It is my understanding from reading James Herriot books (I am not a vet, but I read a lot about them and watch them on TV 😂) that mange mites in dogs are kind of omnipresent, and only thrive/colonize on certain dogs that are not resistant to them. Most dogs are not hospitable hosts to them. Maybe it is the same in sheep?

I hope the vet is able to help you.
We found a treatment on some sites today so we're going to try it. Thank you

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just figured I would tell you guys we put some stuff called nu-stock on Barbara, have her some ivermectin for a couple days and gave her dectomax (we did all the sheep with her too just in case) a few weeks ago, the nasty scabs and swelling around her eyes is mostly gone and she seems like she is keeps getting better! Hopefully she will still breed again this year.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just figured I would tell you guys we put some stuff called nu-stock on Barbara, have her some ivermectin for a couple days and gave her dectomax (we did all the sheep with her too just in case) a few weeks ago, the nasty scabs and swelling around her eyes is mostly gone and she seems like she is keeps getting better! Hopefully she will still breed again this year.
Improvement!! Excellent! :clap

Keep us updated. I want to know if that treatment and time get her back too 100%