Treating mange in sheep?

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't think Barbara has mange. The vet never got a skin sample so there is no proof either. A few weeks ago her head started to get swollen, got a little bigger every day eventually her face was so puffed up her head looked 3x bigger than normal, she couldn't open her eyes and her ears were huge and looked like one giant scab. I did some research and I think she ate something and was having a photosensitive reaction, maybe she had mange before that happened but I know it wasn't the cause of her recent scabs and the swelling, the dectomax has taken care of it if she did. Another reason I think it was photosensitivity is she wouldn't go out in the sun at all. Don't let your sheep eat anything with yellow flowers! I have been told that numerous times and there is also a plant in UK that causes this it also has yellow flowers. We live on a very large piece of land and I just turn them out and they go wherever to graze so I can't really eliminate everything but I at least got rid of all the weeds close by😆 I read to give penicillin until everything goes away. Swelling is gone but she still has some scabby parts, but there is very noticeable improvement every day. And she looks like she is pregnant now so hopefully they go away before she lambs. I think they will just the ones on her udders better be gone

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't let your sheep eat anything with yellow flowers! I have been told that numerous times
Hmmm. I would guess it all depends on what the flower is. I graze my sheep using one of the dogs so I'm there.
Kind of funny because this year I I had some friends that needed cheering up and I send them silly cards of my sheep eating flowers. They definitely ate yellow flowers - after the purple ones were gone.
For fun here are two of the cards.....
B.jpg
C.jpg

Hope your Barbara will be ok.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think Barbara has mange. The vet never got a skin sample so there is no proof either. A few weeks ago her head started to get swollen, got a little bigger every day eventually her face was so puffed up her head looked 3x bigger than normal, she couldn't open her eyes and her ears were huge and looked like one giant scab. I did some research and I think she ate something and was having a photosensitive reaction, maybe she had mange before that happened but I know it wasn't the cause of her recent scabs and the swelling, the dectomax has taken care of it if she did. Another reason I think it was photosensitivity is she wouldn't go out in the sun at all. Don't let your sheep eat anything with yellow flowers! I have been told that numerous times and there is also a plant in UK that causes this it also has yellow flowers. We live on a very large piece of land and I just turn them out and they go wherever to graze so I can't really eliminate everything but I at least got rid of all the weeds close by😆 I read to give penicillin until everything goes away. Swelling is gone but she still has some scabby parts, but there is very noticeable improvement every day. And she looks like she is pregnant now so hopefully they go away before she lambs. I think they will just the ones on her udders better be gone
Nice to hear it is improving..

But... wow...

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmmm. I would guess it all depends on what the flower is. I graze my sheep using one of the dogs so I'm there.
Kind of funny because this year I I had some friends that needed cheering up and I send them silly cards of my sheep eating flowers. They definitely ate yellow flowers - after the purple ones were gone.
For fun here are two of the cards.....
View attachment 93626 View attachment 93627

Hope your Barbara will be ok.
Hahahah. I suppose it does🤣🤣🤣

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just had an idea --- just something that ~could be possible. Maybe she has been rubbing her head on something that would give her some sort of allergic reaction? Out with my sheep this morning and watched one of mine rubbing her head on some weeds and I thought of what you're trying to figure out with your Barbara.
Thinking outside the box a bit.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just had an idea --- just something that ~could be possible. Maybe she has been rubbing her head on something that would give her some sort of allergic reaction? Out with my sheep this morning and watched one of mine rubbing her head on some weeds and I thought of what you're trying to figure out with your Barbara.
Thinking outside the box a bit.
That's a good idea. This is what my idea was, if she did have mange which I think she did it made her itch which caused the scabs. We would always see her rubbing on everything. And then her eating something after getting over the mange and her head swelling brought the itching on fence posts back so she started getting scabby again. Shes not itching now and the scabs are healing since I started giving her penicillin but since she also has them on her belly and udder so I feel like this time it's just she ate something and they got worse/were bleeding a lot because she scratched constantly

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Uhh I realize that this lamb that torched Dutch had those symptom for mange. I hope Dutch doesn’t get it. I sprayed with ring out today and rubbed it into his ears and dock area. I’ll be deworming him tomorrow hopefully.

I was using Dutch as a guide sheep for this little lamb that didn’t understand a halter yet. I think Dutch actually thought that lamb how to walk in a halter lol. By the time I went back to my area he was walking fine. But the lambs eyes were all crusty like a old dirty dog, the ears had scabs on the inside. And the dock was scary, swollen and and red with black scabs. Idk how he got into the show let alone allowed in the ring.

Any preventative measures anything like this at a show?