Treating Open Ulcers

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, I prefer to be on the receiving end of these and able to offer assistance, but I have a problem.
@Bunnylady and @Samantha drawz or anyone else that has dealt with something similar, help please.
I have a 10 week old bunny that is the remainder out of a litter of seven that did not get butchered yesterday. It is a NZW and Holland Lop cross. It has been the runt the whole time. Rather than being 5# at ten weeks, it is around 2# or less.
I am going to give it away as a pet, and it is pretty calm not minding to be handled much. I have not noticed a problem with it, but had it out handling it and noticed feces packed in on its under side at the rear. It is not exposed, so did not see it before. As I gently pulled it off, the rabbit screamed. I decided to soak it in warm water and rub the mess away by hand as it loosened up. It has ulcers on both sides and quite near its genitalia. (It just so happens to be a female)She is swollen at the genitalia and also the rectum.
After cleaning her the best I could, I applied some triple antibiotic ointment to the ulcers and red areas.
I am towel drying her too. I plan to check her daily and try to make sure she remains clean. Is the treatment with the antibiotic ointment ok, or should I do something more aggressive? Her hocks are normal, by the way. I do not want to have to take her to the vet. She is going to be given away once she is healed up.
Thanks, Dave

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm going to ask the obvious so feel free to ignore this one... is it infected scent glands? Regardless, sounds like you're doing all the right things. Hope others have some ideas.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
You know, I am not sure. It is symmetrically located. If it does involve the the scent glands, I still do not know of a proper treatment. There are three total, though. The third is a little forward and just to the right side of the genitalia and appears to involve it. The feces did not occlude the rectum, so she continued to poop. I am not 100% sure if it was hers or her litter mates' feces. The cage floor is clear of "debris" and I did change out the board she sits on today. It will be kept more clean too now that I know there is a situation. I sure wish I had seen it earlier, but I had been taking the ones out that were growing to size to weigh and such. Knowing she wasn't included in my plans to grow out to butcher, I didn't pick her up. Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I have always used Vetricyn? It is safe even for use around the eyes. I have had great luck with it in my lops. Long ears make for big targets from other rabbits and mother when they are young. As well as those pesky scratches in the corners of their eyes, ugh. I have never had any experience with this. Another litter mate may have nipped it in the genitals as well.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Samantha drawz I appreciate it, and will check on the vetricyn when I go to town today. The vet clinic is on the way, so I will see if it is something I can pick up from her or a farm supply store.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is she doing? I've had bunnies that got that poopy butt thing when they were just pigging out in the feeder; once cleaned up, it didn't come back. If there is more than just that going on with this kit, it might come back. The open sores could be very localized "hutch burn" from the urine and feces being in constant contact with the skin; if the muck has been removed and doesn't build up again, she should heal up just fine.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really appreciate your advice @Bunnylady and all that responded. Since bathing and treating initially with the triple antibiotic ointment, she is improving. I do think the "ulcers" were impacted and infected scent glands. She is the only one that has done this type of thing to me. I followed Samantha Drawz' advice too and purchased some Vetericyn. I decided to apply both during the course of the day. Ointment in the morning, and as it has absorbed by evening, I apply the vetericyn jel spray. It looks like it should be thick like a jel, but sprays out wet. It says on it that there is no antibiotic or steroids in it and it is safe to lick as well as around eyes, etc. I am hoping they are not working against each other, but she has stayed clean and seems to be healing. A big plus is that she has been able to pee and poop. She is easy to handle since she is only a pound and a half or two pounds. At almost 11 weeks old I am guessing she is at least half her total adult weight.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
How's the little girl doing? I should hope she's almost completely healed by now. I commend you Pastor for being so caring of your animals... even the ones planned for the dinner table.