Treatment for abscess

Skye_k23

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello everyone
was wondering if any one has treated a rabbit abscess with penicillin? I wad reading these articles about it and currently have a french lop with a serious abscess on her face. We did surgery on Monday and she currently has a tube in place. However it does not seem to be getting better. Any advice. Or information would be great. Here is a link to the article I read.
http://people.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm

Attachments

• 20140909_205321.jpg
    20140909_205321.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 187

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, Sky, I'm afraid I only have had experience with a goat and a horse with an abscess. Both were treated by the vet and recovered without complications.
Hope your lop recovers - that looks painful!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had two rabbits come down with abscesses in the head area. Both had surgery and both recovered. Both of these abscesses were a result of pasteurella. One rabbit was treated by a young vet who recognized and treated for pasteurella and this rabbit did just fine with medication specific for that type of infection. The other rabbit was treated by a vet who was suppose to know "exotics" and he did not use or give antibiotics (injectible) for pasteurella and this rabbit developed another abscess a few months later. He did not have me use penicillin but rather some oral antibiotic. Coincidence?

I don't think penicillin works if the cause is pasteurella.

If the cause for the abscess was something else then you may be just fine.

I would ask the vet if he/she got a lab report on the abscess and if the abscess was pasteurella.

Pasteurella is not nice, and can easily be something nastier than a respiratory ailment.

Ask your vet.

(my 2 cents worth. I am not a vet, don't play one on TV but my evil twin does)

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The antibiotic that works best for abscesses in Bactrim DS 800/160 at a dose that is adjusted to a rabbit sized animal. I am no vet, but Bactrim DS is an awesome broad spectrum antibiotic commonly used for skin infections. By the time a culture is done on it and treatment has begun you could have already had several doses given. This antibiotic is usually pill form given twice daily for 10 days with wet to dry dressing until healed.:fl