Treats for Herefords?

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
SO if you do feed beer to your beef, you can call them special and sell them for big bucks? Do I detect a niche market here? Who volunteers for the testing?
There is no way I want a drunk bull wandering anywhere. Testosterone and booze just doesn't mix well, unless of course it puts them to sleep.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Oh, so we're talkin' Kobe now! :lol:

Gumdrops and apples are all well and good, but there is no treat like a widespread green pasture with ankle-high fresh, ungrazed grass!

However, our cows also like pine needles and fallen apples (from the wild trees growing out in the paddocks).

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
we get donated produce and ours love just about anything. but they mostly get apples and tomatoes... I dont know why my boy Chip loves tomatoes but he would eat a whole ton of them if you let him. We do chop everything they get though because they can get over zealous and choke if you are not careful.

And one of our babies Matthew can never be with other cows, so he eats mostly pig food and produce and actually since we just started feeding him like the pigs hes been growing and his coat is looking much better, we never thought that would happen. Even our vet is surprised!

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
144_05272009_002.jpg
144_05272009_004.jpg
144_05272009_003.jpg

Ok here they are, Hubby thinks this is what Reba has been eatting. I really can't say I've never caught her doing it. Hubby says that it has a fruit that is yellow. You can see the flowers, but I haven't found a fruit yet?????? So Anyone knows what it is. Even the leaves have thorns, So how can animals eat them?????? Mare

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have no clue but, if no one here can identify it, I would suggestion posting over on www.TheEasyGarden.com. It's a sister site dealing with gardens and plants. Someone there maybe able to help. :)

reinbeau

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That looks like one of the Solanums, which is a member of the nightshade family - related to tomatoes and potatoes, actually, but as in those two, the fruits (or tubers) are edible but the plants are poisonous. I'm searching for an exact ID.

You're in Florida, Mare, could it be this one? As you can see here, Solanum viarum or Tropical Soda Apple has been found in Florida, I think that might be it.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Sorry that I took so long to get back. The weeks and days go faster than I can get back to the comp. I'll look that up. Someone else said that it was a egg plant family. But also said alot about being bad for cattle and people. I 'll have to check on the friut to see if any came up yet. When I took the pic it still was a flower. I went on the easy garden forum and they where not really sure because of the pic also and advice to get someone that knew alot about the plant. And not risk it for either my cows or us. Which I for sure lean on that more than keep wondering what it might be. But you site's that you give me. I'll show to my hubby. He's more book smart than me. So we can mke sure. Otherwise it's going to be burnt and round up so noone get sicks or hurt by it. . Thank you again!!!!

Latest posts