Tribute to Latestarter

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dad was private but since he was TMI too I thought you may all get a kick out of this. Hopefully the pic loads right. We've been going through old pics. This is about 40ish years ago when my dad was in boot camp. My brother and I loved seeing his military pics.
Oh WOW! What an awesome photo, of your Dad! Thank you for sharing that with us! He was a good looking young man! I can almost see all those hopes and dreams (on his face), that a young man starting out his military career has. He did accomplish a lot in his lifetime. :D

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@LatestartersDaughter Brandy, thank you for popping in and talking us and for sharing the pic of your dad. I just wanted to give you a :hugs from over the pond and say you all are in my thoughts. My dad passed away suddenly 13 years ago, his second birthday is coming up soon actually. It's a huge loss.

Your dad was much loved here in this community, and offline, by the members who got to meet him in person. He will be greatly missed. If it would be a comfort to you, you are welcome to talk with his friends here on the forum and share pics and memories of him. He was a wonderful person that I wish I made the effort to talk more to and many of the members here were touched in one way or another by his kindness. I remember that last Private message exchange I had with him when I asked him to suggest members for recognition awards and he got back to me with a long list! He was a wonderful man.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@LatestartersDaughter ; Brandy, thank you for coming on and letting us have a little bit of your dad, from your thoughts. I didn't meet him in person, but we had actually talked about the possibility of him getting some jersey beef for his freezer at one time. I also enjoyed his posts, and followed all the trials and tribulations of his move and the progress he made.
He thought alot of his family, and was always glad to have you and your brother both to visit. His journal, will be a good read and you will see just how much he was loved by everyone.
I also hope that you will from time to time let us know how your family is doing, as his family was our "extended" family.
My heartfelt condolences to you both, and know that he was "SPECIAL" to all of us.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
@LatestartersDaughter
Brandy :hugs

While there are many people I've 'met' on this forum that I would dearly love to meet in person, your Dad was top of the list. I :hitknowing that can never happen now. I am grateful that some here were able to know him in person. Through his words we know of some of your trials, you are a strong woman that he loved very much.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss Brandy, @LatestartersDaughter,

:welcome

I cannot add much that others haven't already said, but I will try. Your dad was a joy to read, welcomed just about everyone to Back Yard Herds forum, and most of all, we all could tell how much he loved you. I encourage you to read his journal. You will see that love expressed many times. We felt we knew you and your brother quite well based on the things he shared. While others mentioned TMI, I didn't think that. Instead I thought of it as the humor he loved to share. You will see how we all loved to tease him about Miss @Rammy being his girlfriend, how he had "fun" taking care of his goats, about the flying pig he lost, and lots of other things.

Feel free to share with us about your dad what you are comfortable sharing, and also please tell us more about yourself. You will find lots of wonderful folks here on this forum, some incredibly smart, some funny as all get-out, and almost all of them friendly and caring.

Thanks again for sharing.

Miss @Devonviolet,

I intended on mentioning this before, but I will now. Thank you and your DH for stepping in and helping the way you have done. I am sure Joe would be very proud.

Senile Texas Aggie

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so happy to be able to help keep Joe’s memory alive here on BYH. It is a labor of love, so no real work involved. However, I would feel remiss if I didn’t acknowledge all your kind words of thanks. I do appreciate that y’all appreciate what DH and I are doing. It is a pleasure to be a part of keeping our dear Joe’s memory alive.

Things are in the works, to get our sweet Mel transfered to his new home, with one of our beloved members’. We have all agreed to wait until he is settled, before revealing the name of the generous person who is taking him in. But, I assure you will all be pleased when you learn who it is. They have assurred me that he will have his own thread, so we can all share his new journey! :D

I continue to work to find homes for Joe’s animals. I am working up an ad to list them on CraigsList. However, I would love to offer either one or all of Joe’s purebred LaMancha dairy goats to the members of our BYH family. They are being offered for a price much lower than market value, as we need to sell them quickly. They all come from excellent milking lines, including RJ, the good looking LaMancha herdsire.

If anyone is interested in coming to meet the Texas Contingent and buy some awesome LaMancha dairy goats, please PM me and we can work out the details. However, it will have to be soon, as we are trying to sell them as soon as possible. :)

I am pleased to announce that I was able to get my pick of the herd, and last night, DH went to Joe’s house and picked up April, who is one of his foundation does, whick he purchased from @goatgurl. I have always thought she was such a pretty girl, and couldn’t keep my eyes off her, as we tended Joe’s goats for him, when he was in the hospital. So, the other day, I offered to buy her and was given an excellent price - Joey and Brandy GIFTED April to me, for all my help. :celebrate I was blown away! Didn’t expect that at all!!! :weee DH had cleaned out a paddock and hoop hut, for April’s new temporary home, for the next 4 to 6 weeks, as we quarantine her, where she can see her new herd mates and they and the dogs can see her. Brandy sent me Joe’s kidding calender, and she is due around March 19th. :celebrate
F4899E08-3407-4484-9651-908C825D1076.jpeg

Here she is in the back of our pickup truck, last night, when DH brought her home. Isn’t she pretty??? She is as sweet, gentle, and easy to handle, as she is pretty! We have a bed topper, with sliding screened windows, on the truck, which makes it perfect for transporting chickens, dogs and goats. :D

We were also gifted Joe’s remaining two Buff Orpington chickens. Which is just awesome, because we sold most of our Buff hens to a friend, who lost all her birds to a hawk. I was looking forward to raising Buff chicks next Spring. We did still have two pullets left, and now we have four hens to one Buff rooster. :celebrate We kept the new girls in the transport cage, over night, in the barn. Then, this morning, DH put them in our corner chicken run, where they can also be quarantine, see and be seen by the rest of the flock, before we put them with the flock some dark night. That works sooo well! We gently set them on one of the roosts, in the coop, where they spend their first night with the other birds. Then the next morning, they all wake up and go, “Oh yeah! There you are! I know you! You belong with US!!!” :lol: Then, no fighting and no pecking. :gig

Last edited: