Tribute to Latestarter

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so shocked by this thread. I had no idea LS had such health problems. Gosh he will be missed, I don't know about anyone else but for me LS was pretty much BYH. Not that everyone else doesn't matter but you knew if you posted on a thread or journal or anything 9 out of 10 times LS was already there or would be shortly with a comment, encouragement, advice, a welcome, or tagging people who could help. I wondered so much why I had not seen posts from him. Truely happy he got to have his farm after all the years he spent waiting and truly sad I will never be able to meet him in person. I looked so forward to it from reading all the stories from everyone else's meeting him. I will miss that man very much, another amazing person gone but never forgotten.

Regarding Mel: The two options provided for, when Joe bought Mel, will not work now, so the family will be considering offers from BYH members. However I’m sure there will be a strict screening process for that to happen. If anyone is interested, they can PM me, and I will help you connect with family members.

If i had more fenced areas and the weather shock/staying with the livestock wouldn't be ridiculous I would use all my pennies to get Mel. As is I just don't think it's in the cards for me and Mel as much as I wish that wasn't true.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
you knew if you posted on a thread or journal or anything 9 out of 10 times LS was already there or would be shortly with a comment, encouragement, advice, a welcome, or tagging people who could help.
So very true, I don't know how many times I'd be reading the new posts in a thread here or on BYC and tag one for quoting only to see on the next page that Joe had already said the same thing I was going to say, usually better than I would have. I think I may have jokingly told him on more than one occasion to get out of my head.

I SO wish I could take Mel, I really do. But as some of you know I had a 15 month old GP for a short time and had to return him because him doing his job at night (ie barking at predators) disturbed my wife's sleep and she couldn't get past it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mel is such a good boy. One time Joe had us, me, DH, DV and her DH, over for dinner. He had the steaks on the counter, ready to go. We got there first, Joe showed us around, leaving Mel in the house. DV and her husband arrived, going in the house to find the steaks within easy reach of Mel. They were untouched. You have to understand, Mel can rest his head on the counter top, those steaks were an easy snatch, but he didn’t take one.

Mel is such a love bug. Please, someone give him a good home.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am in shock! I was off BYH for two days and logged in to get caught up and then only to learn that Mr. Latestarter had left us. I always enjoyed reading his posts. It was so much fun teasing him and Miss @Rammy about being boy friend / girl friend.

I think this song by Vince Gill is appropriate:

Senile Texas Aggie

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am posting for SBC as she is sick and hasn't been online much.

Regarding Mel-
SBC Has a contract on all her dogs, so she has one on Mel. Joe agreed to and signed this contract.
In the event of Joe's passing it was agreed that Mel could go to one of Joe's children or he would come back to SBC.
I know SBC mentioned this to DV but perhaps she was not clear enough and I know DV had a lot on her plate.

We will be making calls and sending out messages. If a BYH member is interested in Mel SBC needs to be part of the screening process.
We will not let this dog end up in a shelter or euthanized.

We lost several fields to the hurricanes and I know our other males would fight with Mel, but we are working on temporary accommodations for Mel.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks GW, I was wondering about that. I know SBC is VERY careful and protective of her dogs. I so wish I could take Mel :hit.

Tell SBC I'm thinking about her and hope she recovers soon. :hugs

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying that, @goatwhisperer. I was aware of the contract, and have discussed it with Joe’s children. They also are adamant that Mel go to a good forever home. I apologize if I stepped out of bounds on this.

When I posted here, it was with the intention of running any potential new owner, by SBC. She would have the final decision, as to where Mel ends up. She alone would have the final say, if Mel went to a new home or went back to her (SBC). I’m thinking it would be necessary for SBC to have a new contract with the new owner. I am not wanting to be responsible, in any way, shape or form for where Mel ends up. I was just attempting to open up options. I will make sure that Joe’s son works through SBC before any final plans are made, regarding Mel’s new ownership/home.

Last edited: