Tribute to my Grandmother

Alasgun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Granma Hall hailed from W.Va, she was my Momma’s momma and has been gone for many years now. As a young child, my fondest memories are of her sourdough buckwheat pancakes which they ate with sausage gravy! I’ll be 70 in a couple weeks and have spent a lot of time trying to replicate those cakes; unsuccessfully as you can imagine. Many years ago i came to the conclusion it would be impossible to replicate that memory. We do pretty good with them though!

When im out on the boat for days at a time, i make up a batch and keep them in a cooler where they get used for breakfast or any other time of the day i want something easy.
the glass cooktop on the stove could be easily scratched so i went looking for a polished cast iron skillet to warm them in and discovered you can spend nearing $300.👀 for a skillet!
So i bought me a new Lodge Fajita skillet, nice little oblong thing, perfect for warming cakes etc. however them things are rough these days.
Having the proper tools, i set about to make that right. Here’s a couple pictures of my $15 Lodge after some smoothing and a little Appalachian folk art were applied.
I believe she’d be proud of my effort to keep them cakes alive after all these years.
i’ll season it directly and see how she works This spring on the first shrimp trip.

Attachments

• 30F20092-5F8A-468C-8A2A-9D0C893F3B2E.jpeg
    30F20092-5F8A-468C-8A2A-9D0C893F3B2E.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 118
  • A34AEAFE-AEEC-47D7-A596-78003756EB03.jpeg
    A34AEAFE-AEEC-47D7-A596-78003756EB03.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That looks real good. It oughta work on that glass top stove. I surely do admire those stoves, they are super nice. But, being me, I'd kill the darned thing. Loaded down pressure canners and glass top stoves don't gee-haw.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That looks real good. It oughta work on that glass top stove. I surely do admire those stoves, they are super nice. But, being me, I'd kill the darned thing. Loaded down pressure canners and glass top stoves don't gee-haw.
They are a pain. Can't pressure cook, can't can, can't even use a wok because they aren't flat on the bottom