Tried to join months ago...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! What kind of sheep do you have? We got Dorper/Katahdin ewes 7 years ago and have had so much fun with them. We got Ringo, registered Katahdin ram and a big lovey cuddle bug, a couple of years ago and are going tomorrow to bring home 2 registered ewe lambs for his future ladies. We are so excited.

Where are you located and can you put it in your avatar? Just a general location so we know what part of the country you are in. Post lots of pictures, we love pictures! So happy you are here!

Cotton*wood

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have Katahdins. We got four pregnant ewes last December, mostly to manage our pasture and secondarily for meat. The lambs all came earlier than we expected (the previous owner said "February or March", and it was the very beginning of February right when the massive cold spell started (below zero temps), which made me very glad that I had made a place in the barn for them out of the wind. On my to-do list for the weekend was "practice getting the sheep in the barn" should they need to be brought in, but they started lambing and the temps started dropping, and our practice was the real thing. The one with the lamb was easy by carrying her lamb in, and the others were lured but leery with a bucket of corn. Of the lambs, four were ewe lambs and one was a ram. We banded him at one week, but one testicle must have not been descended because he is definitely has one, so we're going to need to separate him out really soon. He's bigger than his mother now, at four months.

We have maybe six or eight acres worth of pasture (in various fields), and have been moving them daily (or every other day, depending on the grass) with electric net fencing.

I spend a lot of time sitting out there with them, watching them, seeing what they're eating, and all of the ewes and one of the lambs has become very friendly. They like their scratches.

Sheep in the icy grass.JPG

Last edited: