Trimming Nails?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it... what's the best way to clip a wild bunny's nails? My rabbits are not feral, but they are certainly not content to lie upside down in my lap while I touch their feet and make clicking sounds. Any brilliant solutions? Special ideas on handling?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
we set our bunnies on a table and carefully trim each nail, it takes a while for them to get use to it. We usually have 2 of us trimming nails.

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You don't have to put them on their back. I put mine on a carpet covered table. I was surprised the first time I did it as it was not as hard as I thought. I kind of wrap my arm around the rabbit and with that hand hold the foot I am working on. You have to do 2 feet right handed and 2 feet left handed this way but it works for me. Sometimes when the trimmer clicks they will spook a little and I just reposition them and go again. I have also trimmed some of their nails sticking thru the cage floor. I put a few oats in the feeder and while they are busy with those I clip whatever nails are sticking thru the wire. You don't have to handle the rabbit this way but it ends up taking a lot longer, as you have to keep getting them to move around to get all the nails clipped. Hope this helps, good luck if it isn't already done. And don't cut too much, as you can make them bleed if you cut too short.
My rabbits aren't wild either but they have never liked being picked up. They struggle while I carry them from the cage to the table but I just carry them wrapped up like a football tightly. Once they are on the table I pet them a little and calm them down but they don't have anyplace to go. My table is probably 42" to the floor and I have never had one try to jump off. If they move away from me I gently pull them back over and try again. You might want to wear a glove on the hand you are holding with as you probably know by now that rabbits will sometimes bite when they feel threatened. And they are quick and their teeth are sharp.
Knowing how my rabbits hate being handled I dreaded doing this the first time and was just going to do one or two rabbits that day. It ended up being no big deal and I did them all. I think I had 6 rabbits and it took about an hour.
Like Hens and Roos said, it is better with 2 people but I had my wife help me on 2 rabbits the first time I did it but have done it by myself since. Good luck and let us know how it went.. PO

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've done it a couple of ways, but it's hard to describe. Probably best to just try a few different holds/positions until you find one that works for you and your buns. I usually just hold them with me on the couch. That way I can sit and be comfortable while they calm down before I start harassing their little toes :)
I've actually never been bitten while trimming nails, so I hope that trend continues!