Triple Share Nubians 2019 kids and more

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, the last group are disbudded except the late pregnancy because of a loss She is not due till 5/30. I pray she's as good a mother as she was last year because I can't do any more kids I'm beyond exhausted and these current babies will be over halfway to weaning before she even kids.
A goat mentor taught me how to disbud. While it is still an incredibly unpleasant thing the method she use is so much better than what I've seen before. I think the key is the cutting. She does the down (any down is done with quick twisting and no real pressure so there's not a persistent hot down). Then she uses a really sharp knife and cuts the bud next to the skull then goes down for a quick count of three if there's any real bleeding then rubs or uses it like a pencil across the top of the bud before going down for the quick count of 3-5 again. My kids are reacting much better to this method. I have now even done a couple and that's something I never imagined being able to do.

This weekend also involved beginning the arduous process of getting everybody trimmed, and udders done for linear appraisaI. I did not click the others as tight as a show, just enough to clean them up. I've got to find my bigger clippers because it was three times as bad using the smaller pair. Especially GiGi who has enough hair for four goats. They do look good though when they're cleaned up.

I'm trying to put that together. (Disbudding method) We have had our vet when we use to sedate use the calf horn cutters dig out the cap. UGH I just can't go there lol. We ice. Do you ice? :)

043.JPG

We are doing the same... clipping goats! UGH. I had a clipping nightmare... suddenly none of my blades were working. I had 1 blade. UGH. I sent DH up to TSC and got a pair of Listers. I had wanted a different set that was closer to $450... not happening right now so I went with the Listers, we had a 10% coupon too so I got them for $250. They didn't have extra blade sets, so I have to use the one it came with which is fine, basically a 10 blade. I'll order the course blade but hey it is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean REALLY great. I clipped one side of a Lamancha while GW milked a goat, and she is super fast. It has made it so much better.
I did look at my blades, took them apart cleaned and oiled. Found out what was wrong. My youngest daughter hasn't really been good about keeping the blades cleaned out. I instructed her tonight. I am fanatical about blades (been doing blade care for 35 years) and it dawned on me I never really taught that aspect. Good news is all blades are good and shape but 1 which I pitched. So we will use the small set for the fine detail places and the face.
So glad it worked out this way.

When is your LA?

Leta's ears! :ep

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to put that together. (Disbudding method) We have had our vet when we use to sedate use the calf horn cutters dig out the cap. UGH I just can't go there lol. We ice. Do you ice? :)

View attachment 61726

We are doing the same... clipping goats! UGH. I had a clipping nightmare... suddenly none of my blades were working. I had 1 blade. UGH. I sent DH up to TSC and got a pair of Listers. I had wanted a different set that was closer to $450... not happening right now so I went with the Listers, we had a 10% coupon too so I got them for $250. They didn't have extra blade sets, so I have to use the one it came with which is fine, basically a 10 blade. I'll order the course blade but hey it is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean REALLY great. I clipped one side of a Lamancha while GW milked a goat, and she is super fast. It has made it so much better.
I did look at my blades, took them apart cleaned and oiled. Found out what was wrong. My youngest daughter hasn't really been good about keeping the blades cleaned out. I instructed her tonight. I am fanatical about blades (been doing blade care for 35 years) and it dawned on me I never really taught that aspect. Good news is all blades are good and shape but 1 which I pitched. So we will use the small set for the fine detail places and the face.
So glad it worked out this way.

When is your LA?

Leta's ears! :ep
Okay, since I'm working in this is going to have to be in between stuff so I'm going to break this into several replies. The first one is easy do you think she meets breed standard or do I need to measure?
In truth it's really a no-brainer her mother had long ears and so does Boon.IMG_20190407_064238713.jpg

The sire's ears as a kid always make me think of that new year special for kids Happy New year with his ears.
8295.jpeg

Last edited:

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice
Please forgive my voice typing hopefully I can get this halfway right. Se keeps things really simple and doesn't give extra cuz she think so stress on a very small kid..I have done ice in the past, and I probably still would at home for a little while but with the methods she uses to be really honest they don't seem nearly as stressed or bad off the iron is not on very long at all.
the first thing she does for the newby is to teach us to Mark the horn but with the tattoo ink since you're doing their ears most likely at the same time anyway at least if you have goats with ears that need tattoos.
After you've marked the horn bed he has you grab the iron and go straight down to make the circle but you don't just press you just lightly said it there and twist always keep it moving and she counts really quick to twenty. It can be a little less with the really tiny ones. Then she steak takes a short very sturdy knife like a very sharp paring knife with a metal handle very sturdy knife and just cuts flat with the head. let me pick the iron back up and lightly twist to the count of three. Then holding the iron like a pencil lightly go over the area that you cut where the horn buck back and forth maybe to the count of five you just want to go over the whole surface you don't hold it in place or press down hard. then you take the iron and go back doing the twisting motion down again over the top for a quick count of two or three. Overall this method seems to be so much simpler. for some really horny bloodline you may need more time, but for mine this is more than sufficient and my babies react so much better. the most I've had to do is I had one I gave children's aspirin to that night .
Is that a better explanation? I used to go to the vet and she do the vaccines and all the extra stuff and I now do mine separately. I just don't want extra stresses on my babies. I do do the tattoos at the same time cuz their head already hurts and I'm right there.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You must be voice texting! :lol:
Unfortunately, almost always so there are a lot of posts in this thing that make me sound like an idiot. I went back to fix it. The thing is most of these replies are done while I'm hooking and unhooking a trailer or waiting to get paperwork signed so yes I'm voice typing. Sorry :hu :th

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I can't get a correct picture of Crowned w/ Laurel, but here she was this morning. She is long and tends to stand under herself. I need to try to get one of her in motion because she flattens out and has a beautiful topline when she is moving. Unfortunately, like most kids when she's moving I can't get a picture fast enough. She was a month old yesterday.
I really like this doeing she has a lot of presence. This picture was taken this morning before the sun was up so the flash got her eyes.
IMG_20190502_052233865~2.jpg IMG_20190502_052233865~2.jpg

Last edited: