Triple trouble!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may not need the milk. And you may not want another job to do. But your doe might need you to milk her to keep her from getting sore and mastitis....
We bought a milk machine today. We are going to start making cheeses since she has too much. This will be faster too. We made farmer cheese today! Pretty good! We get about 2 cups out of her just to take down the pressure. But, I’m sure she could be milked out more. mastitis would be horrible!!! Not taking any chances on that!! The machine will be her Monday. :)

BYH Project Manager

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so Busty is my goat that had the triplets. They are the ones that have not been, quite as spunky as the twins born to Stormy. I was wondering if it was because there were three, etc. I put a thread on here. I asked the vet yesterday. She said to make sure they are trying grain and eating hay, that they should be mimicing mom. She said they looked healthy, and perhaps it’s just a laid back nature. Last night we gave Busty some nutridrench to help with the nursing. Well, this morning Busty was not a happy girl. I’ve noticed that her udder is much much bigger than Stormy’s, but, I just thought it was keeping up with three. I coaxed her on the stand...no one loves it. I couldn’t get any milk and was concerned about mastitis. Called Chris. His Mom grew up on a dairy farm, and he has lots of experience milking. He did not love anything to do with farming growing up. Anyways...she doesn’t have mastitis...thank goodness, but needed milked badly...and, I needed taught big time! So, I learned a bit, I’m not great but I suppose I have to learn fast. Busty is apparently not nursing the kids. I don’t know why...I don’t know when it stopped...but, after I got her off the stand, they came running over...they smelled her milk. She pushed them away. I held her as hard as I could, many times...she’s a big goat...she’s a mix. She wouldn’t nurse. I put them in the kidding stall...same thing..I was afraid she’d hurt them...she was pawing at the ground. Her milk is not fowl...Chris tasted it...no bad smell..no chunks. I’m sure she hurts. I got enough milk out to relieve pressure, but, she and I, both had enough of the stand for then. I was leaning hard into her side...my head into her cavity...she kept kicking the bowl. I looked on the Net for a bucket, and came across a set of hobbles...to keep her legs still...anyone ever use them? I think I would like to get them. They look pretty sturdy, and will keep her from kicking. I lost a lot of milk. When she was on the stand we tried to put her kid by her nipple to drink....she hated that...and he just kept getting sprayed in the nose. Not sure why he didn’t want to latch on. I’m thinking Stormy has been nursing them all? So......how often do I need to feed these three guys? Is it possible to get away with twice from me? I know that sounds horrible, but, I would really like Busty to start nursing!! Any tips?? Has anyone had this happen? She’s such an awesome goat...I can’t imagine she would just snub them for no reason? Ok, I can’t think of more questions right this second...if anyone he’s tips, ideas..please, feel free to tell me what to do...lol...thanks again everyone!!
Very insightful thread! Big thanks to everyone who has shared their comments and suggestions! Congrats on getting featured on our homepage! :)