Triplets twice...will she carry triplets again?

Gabriella

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This spring I brought a new ND doe into my herd. She has freshened twice and had triplets both times. She is confirmed pregnant and a little over 2 months along. Do you you find that if your doe has had triplets twice in a row, that they will again have triplets or even possibly quads? I would absolutely love multiples from her and she is already filling out so much. What is your experience with trends in the number of kids your does have?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Past performance is no guarantee, but you could ask your vet to ultrasound her.

Hope she does multiples for you.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This spring I brought a new ND doe into my herd. She has freshened twice and had triplets both times. She is confirmed pregnant and a little over 2 months along. Do you you find that if your doe has had triplets twice in a row, that they will again have triplets or even possibly quads? I would absolutely love multiples from her and she is already filling out so much. What is your experience with trends in the number of kids your does have?
Yes, those that throw triplets tend to keep going that way.

And those that throw singles tend to throw singles.

Gabriella

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Past performance is no guarantee, but you could ask your vet to ultrasound her.

Hope she does multiples for you.
I had them ultrasounded to confirm pregnancy but the babies were too big with the probe she was using (long, flat probe vs. the small round one... we did get to see gender on 2 babies tho!) to see anything behind baby #1.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Several yrs ago I bought an F1 mini Nubian, along with her month old doeling. She was a first freshener. Following year, trips...all boys. For four more years, same!! Trip boys. Then trips with 2 boys and a girl....I swear, I almost pulled her tail off re-checking! Meanwhile, the doeing I had purchased with her began her motherhood with trips -- boys!!! Repeated 2 more years of same. What a pattern. 🤔 Sold them as I had gravitated to full sized, no minis.

The last birthing, I kept the only daughter. She has produced 2 sets of twins...3 girls, 1 boy. More usual production. But ND do tend to have trips and quads more than full sized girls....doesn't seem fair.

I have two Saanen who have had trips at least once...they are twin sisters. One of their daughters has tripped once, twins this year.

Quite often a well flushed doe will produce the multi. You have a chance...no guarantee.

Gabriella

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Several yrs ago I bought an F1 mini Nubian, along with her month old doeling. She was a first freshener. Following year, trips...all boys. For four more years, same!! Trip boys. Then trips with 2 boys and a girl....I swear, I almost pulled her tail off re-checking! Meanwhile, the doeing I had purchased with her began her motherhood with trips -- boys!!! Repeated 2 more years of same. What a pattern. 🤔 Sold them as I had gravitated to full sized, no minis.

The last birthing, I kept the only daughter. She has produced 2 sets of twins...3 girls, 1 boy. More usual production. But ND do tend to have trips and quads more than full sized girls....doesn't seem fair.

I have two Saanen who have had trips at least once...they are twin sisters. One of their daughters has tripped once, twins this year.

Quite often a well flushed doe will produce the multi. You have a chance...no guarantee.
That is really interesting that even the gender seemed to be a pattern....wow!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a cow "family" that has 75% bull calves..... the mother, daughters that I have managed to keep, they all have 3 or 4 bulls for every heifer they have had. I have 2 daughters out of the original cow, and maybe 2 or 3 daughters out of them....
And one of my old original beef cows had 11 heifers and 2 bull calves in her entire life.... have a couple of her grand daughters and great grand daughters in the herd....... that was over 30 years ago when I got her as a baby calf to put on a nurse cow....

Gabriella

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a cow "family" that has 75% bull calves..... the mother, daughters that I have managed to keep, they all have 3 or 4 bulls for every heifer they have had. I have 2 daughters out of the original cow, and maybe 2 or 3 daughters out of them....
And one of my old original beef cows had 11 heifers and 2 bull calves in her entire life.... have a couple of her grand daughters and great grand daughters in the herd....... that was over 30 years ago when I got her as a baby calf to put on a nurse cow....
I would've never thought that gender would follow a pattern as well....wow, that is crazy. I am so curious now to see how this goes for my herd!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
While gender is controlled by sperm, basically, it has been proven that the uterus chemicals CAN be negative to either male or female sperm. PH thought to be part of this. This can prevent the attachment of one sex or another from attaching and maturing. It appears to be far less evident in most....so a few will tend to produce all or most of one sex. Similarly, some males CAN produce more sperm carrying for male/ female.

I've had a mare who produced only males over 13 years of breeding regularly. You can see how this can be passed in a family. Mother Nature at work.