Triplets twice...will she carry triplets again?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also, timing of the breeding. It has been the opinion of some vets, that the PH changes as the length of the cycle... so early in the heat the ph is more acidic which is supposed to favor the male carrying sperm... and the later in the heat it becomes more alkaline which is supposed to favor the female carrying sperm. Or vice versa... I can't remember which... Breeding at the beginning of the heat favors the male carrying sperm to reach the egg, and later favors the female carrying sperm... People have tried all sorts of different things to get the desired sex of the off spring. Now we have already sexed semen in cattle, so you have a much better chance of getting the sex you want... but it is not 100% guaranteed. We have certain drugs we can give to cause multiple eggs to reach maturation and get released at the same time...
Case in point. I had a cow that I desperately wanted a heifer calf out of. Used female sexed semen on her. Several different years..... In the sexed semen there is a great percentage of the sperm carrying the sex you want but not every single one... they say 90-95% accurate. She had a bull calf everytime......the only heifer calf she ever had was by an accidental breeding by the farmers bull (she was on a dairy farm) and it was the day after he had seen her heat and did not breed her.... it was really too soon after she had calved... not 40 days yet.....and the next morning the bull had gotten into the field with the milking cows....so she got bred late in her heat cycle....
Luck of the draw.

Gabriella

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also, timing of the breeding. It has been the opinion of some vets, that the PH changes as the length of the cycle... so early in the heat the ph is more acidic which is supposed to favor the male carrying sperm... and the later in the heat it becomes more alkaline which is supposed to favor the female carrying sperm. Or vice versa... I can't remember which... Breeding at the beginning of the heat favors the male carrying sperm to reach the egg, and later favors the female carrying sperm... People have tried all sorts of different things to get the desired sex of the off spring. Now we have already sexed semen in cattle, so you have a much better chance of getting the sex you want... but it is not 100% guaranteed. We have certain drugs we can give to cause multiple eggs to reach maturation and get released at the same time...
Case in point. I had a cow that I desperately wanted a heifer calf out of. Used female sexed semen on her. Several different years..... In the sexed semen there is a great percentage of the sperm carrying the sex you want but not every single one... they say 90-95% accurate. She had a bull calf everytime......the only heifer calf she ever had was by an accidental breeding by the farmers bull (she was on a dairy farm) and it was the day after he had seen her heat and did not breed her.... it was really too soon after she had calved... not 40 days yet.....and the next morning the bull had gotten into the field with the milking cows....so she got bred late in her heat cycle....
Luck of the dra

Luck of the draw.
I put the buck right in with the girls for 2 weeks. So, I'm thinking statistically I'm probably more likely to have bucklings. I'm so interested to see this all pan out. I'm really hoping for 1 keeper doeling but I guess we can do what we want. Ultimately its up to Him. 🤷‍♀️

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why only 2 weeks? If they did not catch, he was not in there long enough to maybe catch the next heat. I am talking the timing during the heat cycle which lasts 6-30 hours for most animals... then they come back in heat in an average of 21 days, but can be from 18-24... I think you need to find a good book and read up on all the phases of goats... and learn about their "cycles" ... heats, breeding, days between cycles, the role the ovaries and the hormones play in breeding and such....the length of gestation, kidding, and all that. The buck being in for 2 weeks will have no bearing on bucks or does being born....

We run our bulls in with the cows for a MINIMUM of 45 days, usually 65-90 days.....
Day one, put the bull in... cows start coming in heat....cow number 1 came in heat the first day, cow 10 the 5th day, cow 20 on the 15th day, cow #2 came in heat on the 20th day because she had just gone out of heat the day BEFORE we put the bull in. So the bull stays in there for at least another full 21 day cycle... in case cow #2 did not catch on day 20 and comes back in heat on day 41......and we have cow #8 that is on a 23 day cycle, so she doesn't come in heat until day 23 and then again on day 46 if she doesn't settle to the first breeding...

I suggest you do some internet research... LSU has a good couple of pages on photo estrus cycles in sheep and goats.... there is lots of info out there if you look it up.

Gabriella

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Luck of the dra

Why only 2 weeks? If they did not catch, he was not in there long enough to maybe catch the next heat. I am talking the timing during the heat cycle which lasts 6-30 hours for most animals... then they come back in heat in an average of 21 days, but can be from 18-24... I think you need to find a good book and read up on all the phases of goats... and learn about their "cycles" ... heats, breeding, days between cycles, the role the ovaries and the hormones play in breeding and such....the length of gestation, kidding, and all that. The buck being in for 2 weeks will have no bearing on bucks or does being born....

We run our bulls in with the cows for a MINIMUM of 45 days, usually 65-90 days.....
Day one, put the bull in... cows start coming in heat....cow number 1 came in heat the first day, cow 10 the 5th day, cow 20 on the 15th day, cow #2 came in heat on the 20th day because she had just gone out of heat the day BEFORE we put the bull in. So the bull stays in there for at least another full 21 day cycle... in case cow #2 did not catch on day 20 and comes back in heat on day 41......and we have cow #8 that is on a 23 day cycle, so she doesn't come in heat until day 23 and then again on day 46 if she doesn't settle to the first breeding...

I suggest you do some internet research... LSU has a good couple of pages on photo estrus cycles in sheep and goats.... there is lots of info out there if you look it up.
Since I don't have a buck on my farm, bringing a buck in induces estrus. The 3 girls I bred all stood within 15 days and all 3 settled and are confirmed via ultrasound. I only kept him on the grounds for 1 heat because of when their due dates would fall if he stayed any later (I'm in Western NY and it gets VERY cold here.) If they hadn't settled, I would've brought him back in November for 2 cycles to plan for spring babies. My point of him being brought in, was since that induces estrus in does that are not within 2 miles of a buck regularly, he would've brought them into heat, therefore, would've likely bred them at the very first possible moment that they would stand, making it early in their cycle. So, if there is validity to a higher likelihood earlier in the cycle, then I'll statistically be more likely to have boys.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since I don't have a buck on my farm, bringing a buck in induces estrus. The 3 girls I bred all stood within 15 days and all 3 settled and are confirmed via ultrasound. I only kept him on the grounds for 1 heat because of when their due dates would fall if he stayed any later (I'm in Western NY and it gets VERY cold here.) If they hadn't settled, I would've brought him back in November for 2 cycles to plan for spring babies. My point of him being brought in, was since that induces estrus in does that are not within 2 miles of a buck regularly, he would've brought them into heat, therefore, would've likely bred them at the very first possible moment that they would stand, making it early in their cycle. So, if there is validity to a higher likelihood earlier in the cycle, then I'll statistically be more likely to have boys.
Okay, I see where you are coming from. Glad you have a vet that can do ultrasound on the goats... many can't. We do both ultrasound and some palpation on our cattle for preg checks. They can only tell sex during a short window on the preg checks and we usually check long after that window when we bring cattle home from pasture for the winter. The cows come in heat with or without a bull around...
Hope that the "prediction" of early breeding does not fall true and you get some doe kids instead of buck kids !!!!

Gabriella

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay, I see where you are coming from. Glad you have a vet that can do ultrasound on the goats... many can't. We do both ultrasound and some palpation on our cattle for preg checks. They can only tell sex during a short window on the preg checks and we usually check long after that window when we bring cattle home from pasture for the winter. The cows come in heat with or without a bull around...
Hope that the "prediction" of early breeding does not fall true and you get some doe kids instead of buck kids !!!!
With the goats we waited a little bit which was cool to see the gender but unfortunately, they were not able to see behind the 1st baby to check for multiples... next time I think I'll go earlier. I'd rather have a count than genders I think. Either way, my family is so looking forward to this kidding season!!!!! 🥰

Gabriella

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is 90 days along and had twins her last kidding.
20210911_162459.jpg

Latest posts