Triplets

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 5 week old buckling who is the oldest of a set of triplets. His sister, the runt, died at a week of age because the mom rejected her and we had to bottle and ultimately tube feed. She just couldn’t fight for life any longer. I noticed this little guy is just not as “energetic” as a young goat should be. He stands off by himself a lot and just stares. He’s not as talkative either. He is eating, drinking and eliminating well. No diarrhea. Nice firm goat berries! He drinks water and eats hay/grazes in the pasture. Tries to nurse from mom but she kicks him away most of the time. I checked his temp and it is 102.5. I gave him some Power Punch yesterday. It seems like his belly may be bloated. His breathing just doesn’t seem right either. Not fast, but slower. Can I give him baking soda at his age? He’s been enjoying the loose minerals in the barn as well. He is still living with his mom and other sibling. He just seems depressed or something. Moving slowly and not bouncing around as a kid his age should. We did recently have an adult goat die of what we believe to be bloat but aren’t sure what she got into. They are in an enclosed grass pasture and are fed free choice hay 24/7. It has been an unusually dry season here.

Attachments

• E938CD85-D61D-4503-A628-DC6F55ED393E.jpeg
    E938CD85-D61D-4503-A628-DC6F55ED393E.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 108
  • A7DEF46E-5878-4A33-B0ED-11E1751491EE.jpeg
    A7DEF46E-5878-4A33-B0ED-11E1751491EE.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 112

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a cute little Buckling..❤️🐐
I'm not too sure what to say? If he is acting fine except for being quiet I don't know what could be wrong? He sounds fine to me.

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The vet says it is most likely tetanus. I noticed him grinding his teeth. His umbilical cord gave us problems when he was born. Had to keep putting iodine on it but it just wouldn’t come off. We had to cut it. He got real bad yesterday after he got the antitoxin and penicillin. Wouldn’t stand, quit eating, an older goat tried killing him when I put him back. I figured he would be dead by morning. But he’s sleeping soundly now.