? true or old wives tale,rabbit that has had earmites cant use as meat

dipence71

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
a friend who use to have meat rabbits says if they have had ear mites you cant use them as meat rabbits.
I read that they have to be treated and not used as food source for 30 days.
Sooo I just wanted to know which is correct. I don't have ear mites but that got me wondering??

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why should earmites make an animal unfit for consumption? Any stressor will reduce the rate at which an animal gains weight, which can mean slower growing fryers and tougher meat. Animals that are chronically uncomfortable are less likely to breed, too. Whenever one treats an animal, they should read the label, because the withdrawal period varies for each product. Or you can treat earmites with plain ol' olive oil, and not worry about a withdrawal period!

dipence71

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bunnylady said:
Why should earmites make an animal unfit for consumption? Any stressor will reduce the rate at which an animal gains weight, which can mean slower growing fryers and tougher meat. Animals that are chronically uncomfortable are less likely to breed, too. Whenever one treats an animal, they should read the label, because the withdrawal period varies for each product. Or you can treat earmites with plain ol' olive oil, and not worry about a withdrawal period!
That is kinda what I thought but wanted another opinion. Thanks.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We used mineral oil to treat for ear mites. Just pour a little bit into the ear and gently massage the ear at the base several times a week untill it all clears up.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
a friend who use to have meat rabbits says if they have had ear mites you cant use them as meat rabbits.
I read that they have to be treated and not used as food source for 30 days.
Sooo I just wanted to know which is correct. I don't have ear mites but that got me wondering??
Your friend was probably selling them to someone for butchering. They will not accept them for slaughter if there is anything at all wrong with them but for your own use there's no reason they can't be eaten.

AlpacaEmployee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would think they can't be used for awhile due to the withdraw time on the medicine used to treat it. If there's no withdraw time, eat away!

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If they have mites, of ear or body, they can be eaten if not treated. If treated you need to look at the information for the drug and see what the withdrawl time is. Just like in any livestock. Then give it a week past. That way you are confident in the drug being out of the body.

cattlecait

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We put a few drops of vegetable oil in each ear and it works great. They hate it, but it works. It's worked on the rabbits, dogs, cats, anything! And I don't think there's a withdrawl time on vegetable oil ;)

missfire

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I already posted this on another thread but is Mineral oil and Baby oil the same thing? If not where do you get the mineral oil. Thanks

:idunno :idunno :idunno

Dan

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You can get mineral oil in the pharmacy area of your local stores. At our walmart it is on the same shelf as the epsom salts.