Trying AI this year

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had not heard of Factrel.
Second breeding was today. It went much better. I reinforced the pen, the tech got a better placement with the gun.

So now we wait....

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Cystorellin, Factrel, and Ovacyst are all the same. I've used all of them on hundreds of heifers/cows, and they all work just fine. Buy whichever is cheapest. We synchronize a herd, apply estrotect patches, and timed AI those that have rubbed off patches. The ones that don't have rubbed patches, we give a shot of gnrh, and breed them 20 hours later. This way, we get a lot better conception rate.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She's wearing a patch now. I have her in with only one other young cow. I was going to have the vet draw blood for testing after 30 days.
I'm assuming the success rate for AI s only around 60% is that right???

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah...60% is accurate. The blood tests at 30 days aren’t 100% accurate, I think I heard only about 75%. Only guaranteed way to know is calf 9 months after breeding.

I’ve heard of cows that show signs of heat throughout their whole pregnancy.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well we did not do follow up blood work. Fall was very busy. Saw her and the younger heifer mounting each other, but that could have been the younger one in heat.
Today Rowen's Dad broke into their field. I decided to leave him there. If Rowen is already bred great. He can breed the younger heifer. If not, then we would have a father
daughter breeding. Not ideal, but maybe not the worst to try it once.

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I thought father daughter breeding was pretty common place (with livestock)? :idunno