Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Not sure how to do multiple per posts, but here is one for you beefer folks:
153_isafoot.jpg

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I'm quite proud of this one. It actually won 3rd place in Hoard's Dairyman contest. It's in B&W
153_shadows.jpg

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nice pics. I too love the first one.

To do multiple pics in one post just hit enter after the img code and type in whatever caption or explanation you want and then enter again and put the img code. But, doing it in individual posts is okay too.

img code (enter)
caption (enter)
img code (enter)
etc.

You can put an extra enter in there to space things more too.

img code (enter)
caption (enter)
(enter)
img code (enter)
etc...

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
those are some great pics you have there.why did you sell the dairy herd.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I never had a dairy herd as an adult, so to speak. I grew up in dairy though, and was in charge of raising calves for my dad as a teen. In our family we worked on the farm, period. I lived in the barn and was happy about it!
After marrying a city boy, we built a house over the hill on the home farm and my 5 kids helped my folks and my sister farm, and I started them in 4 H for the socializing. Wanted them to know farming wasn't ALL work and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The farm friends we made there are my kids' lifetime friends. Of the 5, oldest went 2 years at River Falls, WI, then finished at Texas A&M in dairy science. She was all over the world thru dairy contacts. Now is computer geek's wifein San Antonio. Older son is an engineer but his heart is in farming. He has a 16 acre farmette with beefers. Unfortunately, my folks passed away while he was still a teen. My dad told me himself that if Johnny was older, he'd have left him try the farm.
Youngest is newly married and her hubby has bought her 4 beefers to start their own herd on a small acreage. She has always loved the animals. That's her, tied to the beefer. Since she was 12/13, she'd go to the auction house, and examine the calves for sale, then bid and buy the ones she's wanted. She has a good eye for good animals.
We ( I am one of 6) sold family farm in 1997 to local farm family that wanted to expand their family farm. Main goal was to keep it in farmland. They made farmhouse into apartments and farm the land.
In our SE PA area, building lots cost 40K/acre. I think we got 3K/acre for the farm, but it's still farm land. Our county has one of the highest rates of preserved farmland in the nation and this township has offically declared itself ag-friendly.
With the population growth and it's location, we shall see how long we can hold off development.

I love taking pics of cows and did lots of it when we had them here. Had 4H heifers pastured on our 3-acre lot for 15 yrs. People used to say how they loved to drive past and watch the babies grow. We pastured from 1 week of age if the weather allowed.
I had one ideal as a nondairy 4 H mom: I didn't want to breed or show any animal that wouldn't pay its way on a commercial dairy farm. I didn't think it was fair to the *real* farmers to compete using non-farm $$. I spent too many years in a barn not to respect the hard work that goes into a family farm.
Now those corporation-owned commercial herds... I'll shut up now.;)

Latest posts