Trying to breed the first time.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a blue otter satin buck and two does one blue and one blue otter. I put the blue in with him today and she was kind of freaking out trying to get out and grunting/squeaking and didn’t want him near her. He was ready to get his job done. But she seemed really freaked out. I took her out and tried the other doe, she got along fine with him and laid down for him but I don’t think she was lifting. He mounted her face several times times but that’s about it. Do I just keep trying? I was pretty worried about the first doe, will she calm down?

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Check their color of their vulvas.
Bright pink/red is a good sign of receptivity. Pale pink or purple is not.
My experience is a doe whom is vocal and plays hard to get is more receptive than the doe who sits their and let's him mount (rarely does she lift)
Ok thanks. She seemed pretty freaked out so I wasn’t sure if I should leave her in there very long. She’s is a few weeks older than the other one. So it would make sense that she would be closer to being ready. The two blue otters are 5.5 months old and the blue is 6.5 months old.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
They'll breed when they're ready :)
Just keep putting them in with the buck and one day soon it'll happen!
And I agree, usually the more vocal does are receptive.
Sounds like you have some beautiful colors!

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They'll breed when they're ready :)
Just keep putting them in with the buck and one day soon it'll happen!
And I agree, usually the more vocal does are receptive.
Sounds like you have some beautiful colors!
They are really pretty, I was originally going to go with rex or NZ but I saw these ones and just fell for em. I’m now thinking about getting the kids into showing with some of the babies.
67D71B44-26D2-45C3-9E40-8905F153B2B2.jpeg

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It may be a bit early too, I would expect them to be ready to breed within the next 2-4 months as full sized Satin.
Yeah I know I might be jumping the gun a little bit. The breeder I bought from breeds at 5 months. I’m really just wanted to have the kits a big bigger before the winter hits. It gets really cold and crappy here pretty early so if I’m not successful by end of October I’ll probably have to wait until spring.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We usually have snow on the ground by Halloween.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes a doe will be receptive after placing her with the buck. Once this happens, a lot of times it's good to breed again within 8 hours or so. You can place her cage next to his and get her receptive too. Or, if they're not fighting, just leave her in with him a while. Don't be surprised if she eventually mounts him. It just shows receptivity.