Trying to get these two to breed

Jayzandra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The doe is a little over a year hand has never been bred. She's been real ornery lately and a noticed she was having a discharge from her vulva. So we went and picked this guy up. He's also a little over a year. We bought him a while ago, but traded him for a doeling and breeding rights. Well, it's not looking like we're going to get our doeling and now they say they're planning on selling him. So we're thinking we're just going to keep him.

I don't know his breed and she is said to be boer, nubian, and pygmy. We put them together yesterday. When and how should we check for pregnancy?

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
The best way to know if she's pregnant is to hand breed. Unless you see the act of breeding done there is no guarantee. There is not a solid guarantee if you see it happen either but it is a lot better chance of knowing. The other way to know is after so many days, I am unsure how many, you can have blood drawn and send it out for pregnancy testing through biopryn.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep- hand breeding is the way to go IMO! If you can't figure out when the doe is in heat, running the buck with her might be your only option though. I'd go crazy if I didn't know the due dates!

You watch for a "baby bump" and udder growth. I'd pull some blood after ~60 days of them running together and send it out for a pregnancy check, but it's not necessary.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is getting pretty late in the year to breed a doe that is a seasonal breeder. What kind of goat is the doe? My few does that aren't bred are not showing any interest in breeding and they won't again until August.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had a Saanen breed as late as March 11 !! Most are already done by then. :idunno

Generally, they get vocal (except Saanens, who are quieter) and the tail is up and wagging. Next to a buck who's talking & tongue wagging, if she stands, she's ready. So put them together. If none of that is happening, try to fence line them together.

At this late date, I'd just put them together & go for it. With Nubian & Pygmy, you might get a late breeding. My Nubians were breeding in August..I had January babies. In fact, my last one kidded Saturday....she was a month+ behind all the others....most kidded mid Jan.

Latest posts