Tunis VS California Red

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Why are you interested in them- color, wool, something else? If I had a zillion dollars I would try to deepen the red katahdin color. Actually, I'm aiming for that anyway extra money would just be quicker. Katahdins are a hair sheep developed in Maine.
My buff/ reds
View attachment 98143
Random ramling
View attachment 98144
I was initially drawn to them for a few reasons, I wanted a small, prolific, gentle sheep with dual purpose....meat/wool....and the Tunis sealed the deal as I looked into their history. I don't know from experience yet, but supposedly their meat is mild in flavor, and from what I can see on Momma her wool is gorgeous. The Ram we have is a deep red! We actually plan to bring in two more ewe lambs this year and we will experiment with them through the summer and winter. I have to admit, one breeder I talked to (who is no longer a Tunis breeder) said the Tunis were a little less hardy than the Dorper-and that's what he switched to. But I'm familiar with the Suffolk and I enjoy sheep drama, so I'm gunna risk it and see. ;D

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They are a pretty color. Hopefully they will be hardy enough in your climate. Was the hardiness due to parasites? or something else? Dorpers are very parasite resistant in dry areas, but loose a bit of that in wet climates.
I keep walking out to the sheep house and looking at them! LOL
Honestly, he did not mention what he meant on less hardy, and I probably should have asked-he was also trying to sell me his dorpers LOL so I took it with a grain of salt.....
We are in Idaho-so hot summers, cold winters. From the research I've done I think they can handle it! The breeder I purchased these guys from used a sire that won best in show in Pennsylvania-was also a generational herd brought in to Idaho 80 years ago that have been passed down. I have entered the honeymoon ;)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welp I did it. Not a California Red, but I purchased my first Tunis Ewe, her weather lamb, and A Ram. We named Momma Amelia, and our Ram (not related to momma) Tozer. I am BEYOND excited. They are quiet, sweet, easy to work with and I can't wait to get photos of them in the pasture!
Fabulous!!
My quest for CA Reds is pretty much going nowhere. I'm getting mostly no responses to emails. One said they had them - but has not responded to further inquiry,
Several are "on the last ones, getting out of sheep or too old"
One has a waiting list for next year - put myself on it
and another said "look somewhere closer to where you live" but there is no one I can find and again have gotten nowhere when asking for any possible contacts.
SOO GLAD you got something. They look great!!!

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Fabulous!!
My quest for CA Reds is pretty much going nowhere. I'm getting mostly no responses to emails. One said they had them - but has not responded to further inquiry,
Several are "on the last ones, getting out of sheep or too old"
One has a waiting list for next year - put myself on it
and another said "look somewhere closer to where you live" but there is no one I can find and again have gotten nowhere when asking for any possible contacts.
SOO GLAD you got something. They look great!!!
Ooooohhh that breaks my heart. Hopefully whoever has you on their wait list gets back to you. I still have my one California Red. We named her Ginger.

Attachments

• IMG_8957.jpeg
    IMG_8957.jpeg
    716.2 KB · Views: 66

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
@sage Hill: Maybe you could look into Tunis as well.
Thinking about that. Then also thinking stick with the original plan of Dorpers and add in the CA Reds if/as I get them. Taking into account that with the luck I’m having it would be more years to get where I want to be if I went with the Reds 100% right now.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thinking about that. Then also thinking stick with the original plan of Dorpers and add in the CA Reds if/as I get them. Taking into account that with the luck I’m having it would be more years to get where I want to be if I went with the Reds 100% right now.
I hear that @Ridgetop has some super nice White Dorpers. Just sayin’. LOL