Tunis VS California Red

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, thank you for the great advice! I found the one breeder in Oregon that I have been chatting with. They are part of the registry, and their prices seem to reflect the market here in Idaho as well. She also invited us out to look at them so I think we will take her up on that and just see! Thanks again for all your feedback! I have really enjoyed your input!
Now you've gone and done it!! I actually just found a breeder through the registry that is near me and have contacted her and she replied back. I'm checking them out. Will I get any? Who knows - but step 1.1 is now in play.
@Ridgetop -- thank you for the info - and esp for the why and why nots and the breed association. I've got my questionable "Dorpers" from last summer - and they are nice sheep - Dorper - that remains to be seen, and the oldy moldy (but nice) training / trial sheep. I may go more Dorper, or may go this Red route - at the moment they are intriguing - I did briefly look at the Churro sheep - but did a definitely not for me with the horns.

@Britgoes2market stay in touch!

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Now you've gone and done it!! I actually just found a breeder through the registry that is near me and have contacted her and she replied back. I'm checking them out. Will I get any? Who knows - but step 1.1 is now in play.
@Ridgetop -- thank you for the info - and esp for the why and why nots and the breed association. I've got my questionable "Dorpers" from last summer - and they are nice sheep - Dorper - that remains to be seen, and the oldy moldy (but nice) training / trial sheep. I may go more Dorper, or may go this Red route - at the moment they are intriguing - I did briefly look at the Churro sheep - but did a definitely not for me with the horns.

@Britgoes2market stay in touch!
Thats exciting!! Will do and you as well! :D

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I've traded emails back and forth with the local person. She sounds like "my kind of people". I got all sorts of info on the Reds from her. I keep liking them. But, I need to keep looking as she no long has them.:( She's a wealth of knowledge on them. We will stay in touch and I'll let her know if I get any.
The breed is in the process of building back up as the early flocks tended not to be super careful about cross breeding. They are looking to build a good solid genetic block of purebreds.
Kind of makes me rethink a bit - but then - why not? It would be similar to my original plans, just with the emphasis on breeding to build flocks. I've got to send a few more emails out to others and see what pans out.

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welp I did it. Not a California Red, but I purchased my first Tunis Ewe, her weather lamb, and A Ram. We named Momma Amelia, and our Ram (not related to momma) Tozer. I am BEYOND excited. They are quiet, sweet, easy to work with and I can't wait to get photos of them in the pasture!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 11.25.44 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 11.25.44 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 11.25.56 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 11.25.56 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 75

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why are you interested in them- color, wool, something else? If I had a zillion dollars I would try to deepen the red katahdin color. Actually, I'm aiming for that anyway extra money would just be quicker. Katahdins are a hair sheep developed in Maine.
My buff/ reds
20230408_082625.jpg
Random ramling
Screenshot_20230417-145621_Facebook.jpg