Turkeys anyone?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a pretty novel approach... never heard of that before. So they won't fly at all with the end join missing on one side?
Taking off the end at a joint makes the bird lopsided when they go to fly and they can't get the lift because of it. No end , no feathers, no balance, no flight. Hadn't heard of anyone doing that for years, @Bossroo

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmm sounds scary. I won't be doing that on my own! I'll stick with a portable hoop house til I run into a good old farmer who can show me that trick

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan thanks for the tips! I will look that up. I also am in need of new chicken breeding stock (Dominiques). Don't care about show quality, just hardiness, temperament and laying. But we love our Dominiques!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@NH homesteader If you need to keep your turkeys in, by all means build them a hoop coop and run. If you locate it in a permanent location, you could build a short wall to attach the cow panels to, in order to make it taller.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can take 16 ft cattle panels and make a hoop out of them, anchor them to any type of 4x4's or something and have instant hoop house. They'll be 6' inside somewhat, making them as wide at the base as you want and still be able to stand up. Or put a couple of fence posts in so they stay in the bow position. make it as long as you have panels to do so...cut one panel in half and use for the two ends; not alot of "construction" involved. Great for temp summer pens.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have been thinking about raising turkeys and wonder if having a mama chicken raise them would teach them to be wise in free-ranging, coming home at night, etc. Are turkey eggs to big for a hen to hatch. Just wondering...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Bossroo and @farmerjan ! I'm definitely NOT going to take my dog. XD That wouldn't be fun for anyone.

I was talking about my 'mutts' just to make sure y'all didn't think I was asking about showing. I meant my chickens. XD I just want to see the birds.

I'll try to make it this year but probably not. Maybe next year when I have my license! We'll see if I can talk my mom into taking me. lol

Thank you both!
Ah, so exiting!
Don't know how old you are but the comment about the liscense means under 16? Remind your mom that you could be out drinking or doing drugs or something really stupid, and that you can learn alot just raising chickens; agriculture, genetics all sorts of stuff. And, the poultry community also is BIG on promoting youth and I do know that the Columbus show has a big youth program. Seriously, if there is any way to talk your mom into it, she just might see that it is a GREAT way for you to grow up and to learn. If nothing else, try to get a subscription to the Poultry Press which has been around for like 100 years, there are always articles and info on breeding, raising,and showing birds.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been thinking about raising turkeys and wonder if having a mama chicken raise them would teach them to be wise in free-ranging, coming home at night, etc. Are turkey eggs to big for a hen to hatch. Just wondering...
Hi. I have raised turkey poults under a hen but they can't sit on too many eggs and they are hard for the hen to turn them due to the size. The thing is, they don't "speak" the same language so the poults don't really get the whole message when a hen is trying to call them. They sorta learn, but it isn't all that great. Plus they outgrow the hen so fast that she will just give up on them sooner since they don't need her. Some do alot better than others but it's an iffy thing

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't know how old you are but the comment about the liscense means under 16? Remind your mom that you could be out drinking or doing drugs or something really stupid, and that you can learn alot just raising chickens; agriculture, genetics all sorts of stuff. And, the poultry community also is BIG on promoting youth and I do know that the Columbus show has a big youth program. Seriously, if there is any way to talk your mom into it, she just might see that it is a GREAT way for you to grow up and to learn. If nothing else, try to get a subscription to the Poultry Press which has been around for like 100 years, there are always articles and info on breeding, raising,and showing birds.

XD I do really want to go but my mom is WAY more important.:hugs If she says she doesn't really want to go or can't because of schedules I just won't go. She's all for the farm animals and chickens and stuff I'm just not sure if she'll have the time. And yes farming is a great way to grow up and learn to act responsibly. We have a rehab program in our neighborhood and basically all they do is farm. The boys (15-30 years old maybe) have helped all the farmers in our area by building several barns, fixing fences, and catching cows.

Wow, I kinda got sidetracked there. Sorry. So, yeah, I'll try to go but I'm doing what my parents want no mater what.:)

Thanks though, I'll try and get those.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
XD I do really want to go but my mom is WAY more important.:hugs If she says she doesn't really want to go or can't because of schedules I just won't go. She's all for the farm animals and chickens and stuff I'm just not sure if she'll have the time. And yes farming is a great way to grow up and learn to act responsibly. We have a rehab program in our neighborhood and basically all they do is farm. The boys (15-30 years old maybe) have helped all the farmers in our area by building several barns, fixing fences, and catching cows.

Wow, I kinda got sidetracked there. Sorry. So, yeah, I'll try to go but I'm doing what my parents want no mater what.:)

Thanks though, I'll try and get those.

You sound like a REALLY GREAT KID being that understanding of your mom's schedule and all. Glad to know that she is supportive of your farming interests. My hat's off to her!!!!!!!! Hope you can get the poultry press newspaper, maybe it could be part of your " christmas" or birthday wish list????