Turkeys...Those Big Feathered Dogs

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those of us on the turkey talk thread over at BYC need a place to hang out and gobble during the conversion. I guess I'm the first one here. I know Diluthralphie has joined. Anyone else here?

I should have thought of this sooner and linked it to there before the conversion began. Guess I'll go try to hunt folks down.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Aww I want some gobblers aka turkeys! I have heard some people say they shouldn't be raised with chickens. Has anyone got any experience with this, good or bad? I would love to here about it.

mymilliefleur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm a fellow BYCer. :)
I currently have 6 adult hens and a tom, and a brooder in the house with 12 poults.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aww I want some gobblers aka turkeys! I have heard some people say they shouldn't be raised with chickens. Has anyone got any experience with this, good or bad? I would love to here about it.
You are supposed to make sure that the disease Blackhead is not carried by your chickens. If it's not in your ground, then you should be good. Apparently my ground is ok.

You also have to watch out for aggression, but I have found that if I introduce new turkeys the same as I would new chickens, they work it out. But in the spring, sometimes toms and roosters will fight. My two did last year, and I kept trying to break it up. Finally I let them duke it out and the rooster figured out to stay away from the tom. After that, it was all good.

Another thing I have found, if you don't have enough willing turkey hens during mating season, your Tim might try mating the chickens. I lost a couple that way, to being crushed.

So it might be a good idea to have an area for separating out troublemakers if problems arise.

I'm a fellow BYCer. :)
I currently have 6 adult hens and a tom, and a brooder in the house with 12 poults.

Awesome! Please, we want pics! We love those bug-eyes babies! :)

Duluthralphie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have about 150 chickens and 20 turkeys all living together..

And the quoted text did not go..