Turtle Rock Farm: First Goat Experience

Turtle Rock Farm

Caprine Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, after multiple years of dreaming and hoping and building, I am finally bringing home goats in the next few weeks. Possibly as soon as this week, I'm not quite sure yet. I've researched my butt off, I've had a few moments where I thought "I'm insane, I can't do this, goats are too hard" and I've learnt more about bloat and worms and goat udders than I ever thought possible. I'm a bit nervous but at least I have a goat-savvy friend to help quell my fears. Here's hoping I don't kill them by accident in the first week. :D

This is the first goat, an Alpine doe (in milk) that's about three years of age. Her name is Lucy. Ignore the Nigerian Dwarf photobombers, they're not coming home with me.
IMG_20180329_170520100.jpg

Here's the second, another Alpine girl named Lexie. She's the black with white markings that's most prominent/in focus in the image. This is an old image, she's about 6--8 weeks old now.
IMG_20180329_170630795.jpg

This is their new home. It's 6' x 8' if I remember correctly. An electric net fence has been set up in the back since the image was taken. It [the fence] isn't fully operational yet, but I'll be keeping them inside for the first bit anyway.
full

Anyway, hopefully within the next few weeks I'll have some pictures of them settled in and happy. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys with more questions than you care to answer, so get ready ;)

Turtle Rock Farm

Caprine Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! Nice looking goats. Be very careful... they are addicting! ;)
Thank you! Oh, I'm certain. I've had first hand experience with chicken math, and goat math seems just as sneaky. I'm already in love with another Nigerian Dwarf kid that I just need. Thank goodness I don't have enough space or I would definitely want to take her home too.

Turtle Rock Farm

Caprine Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! She’s pretty.

I hope she does well by herself until the other arrives.
She's been doing fine. Cries for about 30 seconds after I leave, then hushes right up. To be fair, I've been practically living in there, so she's not alone too much, lol!

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Patience and persistence... You'll both win the day! Great looking doe!