twin lambing questions

n8ivetxn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow! I gotta watch the shorties!

I agree, healthy babies are good babies. When I first switched from mini-cows to sheep, I wanted multiple birthers.....Now, I just want healthy lambs and ewes. That is more valuable to me than litter numbers.

In June a ewe lambed, I wasn't around until later....she wouldn't let me get near her and the new baby. She had stuff hanging out the back. Finally, the next day, she went down. The vet said she had a twin stuck inside. He could do surgery, but couldn't guarantee she'd live. And the surgery cost $600 - $1000. I was laid off at the time and couldn't afford to take the risk, so he euthanized the dam and I bottle raised the little ewe lamb. I hate that it happened, I haven't gotten over it yet. I needed her for the flock, she was a very nice ewe.

That being said, I expect six sets of twins and one single in the spring :ep

california cowgirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes unfortunately we all learn from these lessons and it happens. I am sorry for your loss and it seem the really good ones sometimes or our favorites have problems. Around here the rule of thumb do not give it a name....LOL but we try our best to do what is best. It happens.

Also if this was just a day later if you knew how to reach in there you could have pulled that dead lamb out if it was not too big or too swollen and give you some penicillin and a uterine flush and she would have probably made it. But vets like the big bucks...unless there was another problem. Prolapse is one that you might as well uthenize that one is hard and usually doesn't fix.

n8ivetxn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, learning is sometimes a difficult thing....Somebody else told me once the cervix ceases to be dilated, I wouldn't be able to get my hand in there. After that, surgery would be the only option.

Another thing I learned, have an emergency fund for my animals. Things happen, and for somebody that doesn't have decades of experience, it doesn't hurt to put a little aside for them. It adds up quick!