Twins! Tons of questions!

Dix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
IMAG0476.jpg
Went looking for Goldie cause she wasn't with the herd. There she was, in the goat house, with two brand new babies! My first time, so I'm really nervous!
1. They seem to be having a hard time finding her teats! How long should I wait before I start worrying?
2. There's "stuff" still hanging from her. Do I need to do anything? I know these questions are dumb, but The only animal birth I've experienced is puppies.
3. The environment she had them in is not the cleanest. I can move her to my "baby" pen, which has 4 other babies I'm trying to wean, but I don't think I should put those babies back with their mom's for another two to three weeks.
Looking for any and all advice!!

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
They will find the teats. :) Sometimes you can help them, stick them under mom and direct the teat to their mouth, they'll get it. I have had a few take and hour or so but that is rare as long as mom is letting them try they will get there.

Let the afterbirth hang, the weight of it will actually help deliver it all. Don't pull on it as it can cause hemorrhaging. It may take hours to come all of the way out, and she will have a discharge for a few weeks. If it doesn't smell nasty all is good. You need to dip the babies cords in iodine.

How clean is not clean? Can you just put down a thick layer of some fresh straw? I wouldn't put her with the other kids for at least a few days. I really like my kids and moms to have a few days alone to bond.

Congratulations on the new ones.

Dix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They will find the teats. :) Sometimes you can help them, stick them under mom and direct the teat to their mouth, they'll get it. I have had a few take and hour or so but that is rare as long as mom is letting them try they will get there.

Let the afterbirth hang, the weight of it will actually help deliver it all. Don't pull on it as it can cause hemorrhaging. It may take hours to come all of the way out, and she will have a discharge for a few weeks. If it doesn't smell nasty all is good. You need to dip the babies cords in iodine.

How clean is not clean? Can you just put down a thick layer of some fresh straw? I wouldn't put her with the other kids for at least a few days. I really like my kids and moms to have a few days alone to bond.

Congratulations on the new ones.

Dix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Problem with leaving them where they're at is the rest of the herd sleeps in there. And they've pooped in there. I could probably lock the other babies in an unused chicken run that's covered in straw, and put mama and new babies in the sectioned off area that has a little "hut" they could be in by themselves. I'm looking for straw now...hope I can find some...
thanks for the tips!

Dix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Now I'm worried about mama! We moved her and babies to a cleaner environment, away from the rest of the "herd". She seemed fine last night, babies nursed, etc. This morning she seems very listless. Just standing at the opening of her pen, staring over at the other adults, almost like she wants to be over there with them. The babies are in their little hut, not sure if they have nursed or not. I can lay a layer of pine shavings over the dirty straw in their shed and take her and babies back over there. They sleep in that shed, so question is, will the others trample the new babies? Also, there's a buck in with the other girls. Will he hurt the new babies? Sorry to be a pain...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is the shed crowded? Baby goats are pretty good about staying away if there is room to move around. Can you let them be with the herd during the day and separate them st night? The buck most likely won't be a problem. I have kids get into the buck pen all of the time with no issues. However all the goats will usually butt the kids away from them if they get too close. Especially at feeders. My kids and adults are usually together after the first week.

Is mama eating ok? I would take her temp. just to be sure no infection or hypocalcemia going on.

Dix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
There are 4 does and a buck, counting her. The shed is approx 8x10. The 4 older kids are in a different pasture. I'm going to leave mama and new kids where they are for about a week, then put them back with the others.

Moms not eating much but she is drinking. Got told she's getting too much grain, so I took it away. She's currently got diarrhea. Kids are nursing fine.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
There are 4 does and a buck, counting her. The shed is approx 8x10. The 4 older kids are in a different pasture. I'm going to leave mama and new kids where they are for about a week, then put them back with the others.

Moms not eating much but she is drinking. Got told she's getting too much grain, so I took it away. She's currently got diarrhea. Kids are nursing fine.
If mom has diarrhea, that may be serious. You need to get a fecal done ASAP. The stress of kidding can cause a parasite bloom. Her not eating much is not normal and a cause for concern.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you changed the amount of her grain since she kidded? I have had a few with diarrhea after kidding when I start giving them grain. Is it diarrhea or just clumpy poo?

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did your doe ever pass the placenta? You mentioned it hanging, but it should have all been passed within a few hours. If not she could have a serious issue and need some antibiotics. If I have a doe not pass the placenta completely by a couple of hours, I get them to the vet ASAP.

Latest posts