Twins! Tons of questions!

Dix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Did your doe ever pass the placenta? You mentioned it hanging, but it should have all been passed within a few hours. If not she could have a serious issue and need some antibiotics. If I have a doe not pass the placenta completely by a couple of hours, I get them to the vet ASAP.
Yes, she passed it. All is well. The guy I bought her from is just up the street, and he has been wonderful, checking in on me every few days. He checked her for fever, there is none. Gave me some vitamins to give her. Thanks all of you for your advice and help! Ill get it...just learning, but Ill get it. I love these silly things! What fun. Oh, and the babies are both bucklings. Dang it...the little brown one has beautiful coloring! Come fall, Ill probably have at least 3-6 more!

Dix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have you changed the amount of her grain since she kidded? I have had a few with diarrhea after kidding when I start giving them grain. Is it diarrhea or just clumpy poo?
I took her grain away, at the advice of her former owner. She is on pasture. Shes MUCH better! Seems I was "over-graining" her.??

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have over grained a few. Slow and steady is what works with goats, if you want to add more grain just increase it slowly.

Reactions: Dix

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congrats on the new babies! They are beautiful. Glad all is going well with mom and kids.

Reactions: Dix

Dix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'm such a worry wart. Ill get the hang of this, I'm sure. I might be having 3-6 or more in the fall, as the Billy is in with the other three girls since first part of April. 1 Boer, 1 Alpine/Saanen, and 1 (not sure what breed). He is a Savannah, and quite a handsome fella. We will take him out 1st of July cause I don't want winter babies!

Now, I worry if I don't think mama is feeding those babies long enough/often enough. Seems she only lets them nurse a second or two!

PS: We lost our beloved 13 year old Golden Cocker Spaniel today. Vet said he had very bad infection, possible cancer, said he could do testing, but the poor boy suffered long enough. We decided it was time to say goodbye. He's chasing rocks and tennis balls over the rainbow bridge. About broke our hearts. I don't ever want to go through that again.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Aww. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Thoughts and prayers your way for comfort during the hard time.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your pup!:hugs

Goats nurse for a few seconds here and there. As long as they are active, running, skipping, being normal babies and not standing around crying, then they are getting enough. You would be amazed at what these little hoovers can suck out of an udder in a few seconds flat! Wish I could hand milk that fast!