Twins vs triplets?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone, as many of you might know last week, 1/31/20 my doe, Stormy kidded a set of Pygmy/ND twins...and my other doe , Busty, kidded a set of triplets ND3/4..1/4...?plainer goat. Anyways...I only mentioned breed because perhaps it factors into the behaviors? So, these little buggers are doing great. No real issues. But, I am noticing that, Stormy twins are always out having fun...and Busty’s three, and often, laying down. No one has ever cried...so I have not intervened with supplemental feedings. I asked the vet, and she said, I might have to help if somebody is not doing well. Tummies seem full. My smallest little guy went from 3 lbs on Friday to 4 lbs now. The biggest observation I make with my moms is that...Busty is not eating as much hay as I’d like...actually, neither of them are. I give them a grain mixture that I make...before they used to eat the pellets first and tlet the small stuff sit...now, it’s the opposite. Now the soybean meal, oats, beet pulp meal, sweet feed, BOSS are mostly gone with the pellets left......but, they really don’t like just pellets. Plus, I’m not milking either mom....I want the kids to get everything. Busty definitely doesn’t have as much energy as Stormy. Any hints?
Anyways..Chris and I are wondering, are triplets just slower to start out than twins? The temps are basically normal.

DellaMyDarling

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Might be something to this. Having similar experience between myself and neighbor.
Interested to see other responses.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use alfalfa, in addition to grass hays. If no acceptable alfalfa hay, alf pellets. It takes a huge amount of energy and carbs to make milk -- way more than growing a fetus. I assume you also have minerals available.

I have had mini Nubians who nursed trips very well, no issues...ND/Nubian crosses. They may not LIKE the hay you have. :idunno You may want to drop the BP and see if that helps them eat more hay. They need the long stem in their gut and BP is a type of replacement of some of their forage. The Alf gives forage & protein & calcium. Problem with alf is that if old or harvested too mature, the leaves are powder....they don't want those stems. That's when I go to pellets. Now, a good mix of grass/alf normally has young alf in it as the grass matures faster, thus hay is cut with young alf.

How is the bag on the gal with trips? Is she filling or staying empty? You may want to separate her & kids for several hours and check that....watching as they nurse, are all getting to nurse, etc. Be sure she is standing for all to get full.

Every goat is different BUT, generally they can handle 3. Lactating does will eat at least 1# of feed per # of milk proeduced, PLUS graze/hay. You don't want to overdue grains but, supply 2X day....hay 24/7. I watch a doe who has trips & normally twins -- to be sure she lets all 3 nurse -- not just 2 and then walks. Some will because both sides were relieved, then #3 may not have latched. See?

That's just my input from my gals habits. You will need to watch those for a day or two to see how it's going.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not sure if relevant, but my two singleton births are SO MUCH MORE ACTIVE than the three sets of twins. Those singletons have been out racing the fence line, jumping the boxes, and generally goat-crazy since almost day one. The twins are catching up, but it took them a while (everyone is about 2.5 weeks old now).

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, I’m trying to take all of this information in....what I’m gathering is that, this might sound like similar stuff is going on around this forum too. My goats have been eating this hay since before they kidded...so the hay should not be an issue here, however, both moms have slowed way down on the hay they eat! I do give them Alfafa pellets since we use mmixed grasses hay. The bags look full on both moms. More full on my doe with triplets. Ok...so, from all of this I’ve gathered that you think I should take some time to watch them together...making sure they are getting enough time to eat. How much time per day and for how many days would you watch them just for this?
Thanks guys....this will really help me feel better to know why some are crazy, and others are so mellow.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
look full on both moms. More full on my doe with triplets. Ok...so, from all of this I’ve gathered that you think I should take some time to watch them together...making sure they are getting enough time to eat.

Yep, it's pretty normal. Be sure all are nursing - then YOU relax. That's all folks! LOL

Seems feed is ok...….let them be moms.

Latest posts