TWINS!!!!!!

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm confused. I thought they needed feed available at all times the last few weeks? I've done that with each kidding, and never had an issue. So, I'm not supposed to do that? :hide :hu

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm confused. I thought they needed feed available at all times the last few weeks? I've done that with each kidding, and never had an issue. So, I'm not supposed to do that?

They can have their normal food at all times but you don't want them raiding the grain bin and eating 25 lbs of feed like a little pig. Hay in front of them at all times is the way to go.

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They can have their normal food at all times but you don't want them raiding the grain bin and eating 25 lbs of feed like a little pig. Hay in front of them at all times is the way to go.

Ahhh...gotcha. We keep their feed in a totally separate area outside the pen. She has a small trough that is about half way full most times. Like the small troughs that hang on a fence.

chickchick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi newton! Just thinking of all the other momma goats so close to bringing us new kids, I wanted to share a bit of what happened with us on Sunday. The day before Ma finally hatched her babies, I saw her contractions coming on and stopping. It was making her hoohoo tighten and relax, like she wanted to poop but couldn't. The next day after a walk ( walked her everyday for the last week) I saw her privates were being sucked in instead of pooching out. That happened every couple of minutes, so I stayed outside and raked the barn and kept watch. She was clearly in major discomfort, her eyes were glazed and she twisted her head and pressed it on the walls. She also was icking the air. 2.5 hours later I went to the house for warm water and came out to her laying in her feed tub with a huge bubble showing out her backside. It was on like donkey kong after that! I felt with my finger to see if a nose and two feet were coming together and to my utmost joy, it was perfect!! That's when I knew we were ok. My son came out and helped, being in the feed tub was not good. We made sure the baby didn't get squished and also that it's face was away from the puddle of goo and fluid. After the struggle of the head the body slid right out. We wiped the nose and mouth clean before she ever came out all the way. Then we held her close to Ma's face to be cleaned, all the while letting the umbilical cord fishing pumping blood to the baby. After that we tied the cord and iodined it, it broke off and that little thing started searching for a teet! I was so proud of her!

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    415.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 89

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi newton! Just thinking of all the other momma goats so close to bringing us new kids, I wanted to share a bit of what happened with us on Sunday. The day before Ma finally hatched her babies, I saw her contractions coming on and stopping. It was making her hoohoo tighten and relax, like she wanted to poop but couldn't. The next day after a walk ( walked her everyday for the last week) I saw her privates were being sucked in instead of pooching out. That happened every couple of minutes, so I stayed outside and raked the barn and kept watch. She was clearly in major discomfort, her eyes were glazed and she twisted her head and pressed it on the walls. She also was icking the air. 2.5 hours later I went to the house for warm water and came out to her laying in her feed tub with a huge bubble showing out her backside. It was on like donkey kong after that! I felt with my finger to see if a nose and two feet were coming together and to my utmost joy, it was perfect!! That's when I knew we were ok. My son came out and helped, being in the feed tub was not good. We made sure the baby didn't get squished and also that it's face was away from the puddle of goo and fluid. After the struggle of the head the body slid right out. We wiped the nose and mouth clean before she ever came out all the way. Then we held her close to Ma's face to be cleaned, all the while letting the umbilical cord fishing pumping blood to the baby. After that we tied the cord and iodined it, it broke off and that little thing started searching for a teet! I was so proud of her!
Thank you so much! I needed more of a description of something to look out for. I'm curious before she went into labor did you notice and excessive amount of pooping? Newton has pooped five times in the past three minutes which seems a bit excessive :sick and earlier this morning all the muscles in her body tightned for a split second.... but it hasn't happened again .. just excessive pooping, and I also like you walk my girl everyday, in fact she is staring at me through my window right now because I briefly went inside my room :gig and she has peed I don't know how many times in the past few minutes but I'm not seeing anymore discharge... and her ligs are squishy but back more than yesterday... :barnie

Latest posts