two does in same stall...good or bad?

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have never had experience with kidding...that said,
I have 2 togg does in the same 14x10 stall with an open door to their yard. I have a third doe in the next 8x10 stall with an open door to the horses paddock. She is newer and the original 2 don't like her in their stall. The first 2 does are bred for mid March and the third is bred for mid April. The two have always been together.
I believe this to be their 2nd kidding.

The stall is large enough to partition off a section and separate them. Should this be done? or would you leave them together? At what point should I close their doors and keep them inside the barn?

The stalls are dirt floors with 6-8" of hay and a section with pallets laid on the ground and covered with plywood.

I still have the young buck in with the two girls. His was supposed to be the smaller stall that the new girl took. He can be closed into a run in shed with a tube gate eventually, but he'll be a ble to see the horses, not the goats. I've heard he should be removed before kidding. yes?

I need advice...Thanks,
Cindy

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the does, but generally speaking, I wouldn't leave two does and their newborns all together in one stall. There are some that will tolerate it, but the risk you run is that one or both does will thump around on the other babies. Not to mention the possibility that the mamas will get protective and fight one another..

If it's feasible to separate the stall, I'd do that.

I'd get your male outta there too. We let our old herdsire stay with his ladies and offspring until they were maybe six weeks old, but then he started acting a bit too interested in them and had to go. They were always on open ground, though... The only time our kids are ever stalled with an adult, the adult is mama and only mama.

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree.. it does depend on the doe(s). With that being said I have two very laid back nigerians who I experimented on doing this and well lets just say it did not go so well.. momma does become very protective of their kids and will even turn aggressive toward the other does kids.. this is where you have to watch that someone would not be severely injured or even killed.. if at all possible I would separate them just to be safe and that way each mom is able to focus on her own babies without added stress.. after a few days to a week I let the babies mingle (the kids love to play with each other) and at night locked everyone back up separate.. I personally wait until kids are around a month old or so (depending on size and how thrifty they are) before turning everyone loose with main herd.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yesterday my Babylon had her babies in the birthing stall. When the other girls would go by the door or slats to check things out, Babs would go ballistic, ramming the door and didn't pay attention to her babies. We had to close off the alley and nextdoor stall so that she would remain calm. Keep in mind that Babs is the "Queen" goat who keeps everyone in line. She has a reputation to uphold. Her new babes will be first in line for the throne.

So you should probably make a small closed in stall for your girls and separate them since they are mighty curious and someone could get injured.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you. I think these two are "co-queens". I'll slpit the stall in half and pull the buck out. What do you think? 2 weeks prior?

Latest posts