Two goats losing hair and have flakey skin.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not unusual for any livestock to get lice or mites over the winter and it really show up visibly in the spring. The critters are in just about all baled hay and that's where they usually pick them up at.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Agree with @One Fine Acre

Nites are microscopic so just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not there. The down side to skin scraping is unless they scrape right where a mite is then it will come up negative.

Generally you determine by evidence seen. One goat may have more of a reaction then another goat.
Both mites and lice feed off the animal and can cause weight loss due to anemia.

Deficiency is common where you have lice or mite issues.
Deficiency also lowers the body's immune system and they can be more prone to getting them.
Often the two go hand in hand.
The splotches are more disturbing because when you see blotches it is more indicative of fungal.
Mites and Lice are prevalent in the winter and peak and become active in the springtime once it starts warming up.

There are burrowing mites and non-burrowing mites. Mites can cause extreme itching, chewing, rubbing, lesions, secondary skin/bacterial infections, weight loss, anemia, dry flaky skin, hair loss, crusty skin, and areas of complete baldness especially around the eyes and ears. Mites can be more problematic that lice, they are also very difficult to identify.

While looking at zinc deficiency keep in mind that minerals depend on other minerals. Calcium depletes zinc so herds that feed high calcium feeds need to adjust for zinc. Cobalt is essential and most minerals lack adequate cobalt.

What kind of minerals are you feeding?

Check for anemia as well.
Thanks for the great information!

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Typically most treat at home. Not all chemicals are harsh and they have their place.
I explain the difference between the all natural pyrethrum and permethrin on my website. You can view that if you like.

I avoid pyrethrum at all costs and prefer the synthetic version.
Sounds like you have adequate minerals, are they eating them?
Mites/Lice are not necessarily from dirty environments. You can pick them up in hay, in your fields etc.
Always good to consult with your veterinarian.
I was unaware of that I will have to check that out. What is your site address?

Mandaashley21

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Typically most treat at home. Not all chemicals are harsh and they have their place.
I explain the difference between the all natural pyrethrum and permethrin on my website. You can view that if you like.

I avoid pyrethrum at all costs and prefer the synthetic version.
Sounds like you have adequate minerals, are they eating them?
Mites/Lice are not necessarily from dirty environments. You can pick them up in hay, in your fields etc.
Always good to consult with your veterinarian.
Thank you, your website was so helpful! I sprayed everyone and everything with permethrin and I will repeat again in 2 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that my babies will get better soon. I also ordered some “nu stock” to help sooth their dry skin.

RathdrumGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
View attachment 61808 View attachment 61809 View attachment 61810 I have 4 Nigerian dwarf goats all 1 year old. Over the last couple months two have had really dry skin and dandruff. I have well water so I thought maybe it was a copper deficiency. One goat lost weight but once I gave him a copper bolus, he went back to normal weight but his skin is still dry and his hair seems to still be thinning. My doe had dry skin as well but over the last 2 weeks I’m noticing hair loss around her eyes and nose. I gave her a copper Bolus as well 2 days ago. They’re all eating, drinking and acting normal. I’m so freaked out that they haven’t gotten better. Any advice is appreciated!!

It is a combination of lice (causing the hairloss) and winter stress causing the dry flakey skin. The lice eat the dandruff flakes, it causes inflammation and hair loss. You can purchase an insecticidal powder at the feed store to kill the lice. Start adding black oil sunflower seeds to your goat's winter ration. The black oil sunflower seeds will provide extra calories and essential fatty acids to protect their coats. My goaties now have beautiful coats.

tdurant

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It is a combination of lice (causing the hairloss) and winter stress causing the dry flakey skin. The lice eat the dandruff flakes, it causes inflammation and hair loss. You can purchase an insecticidal powder at the feed store to kill the lice. Start adding black oil sunflower seeds to your goat's winter ration. The black oil sunflower seeds will provide extra calories and essential fatty acids to protect their coats. My goaties now have beautiful coats.
This has been very helpful. I have had pigs wintering in the barn with my goats and have noticed that all of the animals have this same problem. I have checked them repeatedly for lice but cannot find any. I shaved two of my goats, washed them with Dawn, and sprayed them with permethryn and now they seem to be doing much better. However, I did not shave or bathe the pigs, I only sprayed them and they still have the flakes. So I am assuming that as with fleas the Dawn killed off the lice and the spray is keeping them off. Has anyone else experienced this?

Tracy Jones

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Very helpful post! Mandaashley21, I feel your pain. The mites and lice are so prevalent in recent years. I’ve had goats since 2006 and don’t remember ever having this amount of problems with them! Since last year, all of mine are itchy and flaky! Southernbychoice, would you share your website address with me please ? I’d love to read the differences etc of the various treatments as well. I have them all but never know which I should use!o_O

Animal lover 345

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi i have animals that do this allot. It is a very common thing but be carefull it can easily get spread around to ototh animals just by touch and can get spread to humans. You can buy a cream for it at a vet or pet store. or give then garlic pills (make sure for animals) and should go in 1 week or so. I hope this helps

Chyanne Archer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Have you tried checking your well water or could be allergies we found with our goats

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Very helpful post! Mandaashley21, I feel your pain. The mites and lice are so prevalent in recent years. I’ve had goats since 2006 and don’t remember ever having this amount of problems with them! Since last year, all of mine are itchy and flaky! Southernbychoice, would you share your website address with me please ? I’d love to read the differences etc of the various treatments as well. I have them all but never know which I should use!o_O
Did you ever get the website address from @southernbychoice ? I would like to read it also.