Two goats, or one sheep and one goat?

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm wanting to get a dairy goat to produce milk for me and my family. I have heard it's best to have at least 2 or either another hoofed animal for a friend. Would it be better if I had two goats or would one sheep and one goat be okay? And as far as the pen how big would it need to be? I would be raising the young for meat BTW.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have both sheep and goats, I would recommend 2 goats. While they get along, it is not exactly the same. I am no expert, but would get 2 goats & 2 sheep if you want both :)
The rule of thumb I've been told is 10-15 sq ft per a standard goat for a shelter, depends on how you'd like to feed them as well, in pasture or confined?

Last edited:
Reactions: TAH

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How large of a pen should I have for the 4?(if I go that route) I will be letting them out to graze often.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you want a fully enclosed shelter? I use a 3 sided hoop house like structure for 3 (soon to be 4) goats, 3 sheep and 2 alpacas. Made with 2 cattle pannels and a tarp. Will be expanded soon to 3 cattle panels as I am growing, but I've had no issues with it!

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How large is your pen? I was thinking for 2 goats I would do an 8 x 16 pen with a 6x8 enclosure attached would that be to small?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not run them together. It may work out at first but with everyone I know, they run into issues down the road unless they have so much land where they can stay away from each other. You will also run into mineral issues too.

You are on very limited space so that is something you want to look at.

If you are planning on have goats for dairy products, I would encourage you to test for CAE, CL, and Johnes at least. Most sheep breeders don't test or don't care- putting your goats at risk. Sore mouth is another issue that is common in sheep. This can spread to goats and you too. You will be touching the goats nose, face, and udder on a regular basis opening you up to a possible greater risk of orf.

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I wasn't not aware of all the issues brought on mixing the two thanks for the info. Do you think a 8x16 pen with a 8x6 house would be suitable for 2 dairy goats? They will be able to graze often.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
How large is your pen? I was thinking for 2 goats I would do an 8 x 16 pen with a 6x8 enclosure attached would that be to small?
That is a bit small. The entire area would need to have a good layer of grit to prevent mud. Mud=parasites and hoof issues.

Their pen would need to be raked and swept daily. You would need to to feed lots of good quality hay and feed. Even then, they still wouldn't be able run and play.

Waisted hay will also need to be picked up daily.

What breed are you looking at getting?

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What would you recommend? Any suggestions on particular breed of dairy goats?