Two goats, or one sheep and one goat?

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'd probably be fine with a quart or two really anything over would go towards butter, cheese and livestock.

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
And I was thinking on Alpine dairy goats.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alpines can be big goats, if you freshen 2 decent does you will be looking at least 2 gallons a day by their 2 or 3rd freshening. Because you will be on a dry-lot, you are going to have to feed them. Big goats will eat a LOT. Does can get to 160 pounds... That is a lot of goat in such a small area. This will be a lot of poop to clean, water to supply, and free choice alfafla and lots of feed will be necessary.
I wouldn't put 2 full sized alpine does in an area that small.

Have you looked at Mini-Alpines? They are a cross of Nigerian Dwarf & Alpine. They are much smaller, eat less, easier on the land, have better feed to milk conversion, and will still produce more than a Nigerian.

Where are you located?

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wichita Kansas

I have thought about the Nigerian dwarfs but, never thought about a cross of the 2

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another think you need to think about is kidding. If each doe gives twins you have 6 goats in such a small pen for at least 8 weeks (I like large breeds on milk for at least 16 weeks). That is too much. You could pull the kids at birth and sell them as bottle babies after they get colostrum- but you have guarantee that they'll sell that fast. You also need to really know goats before you start pulling and bottle feeding.

As I mentioned before, you will absolutely need to have some sort of grit that packs down nicely. Here in NC we have a grit called chapel hill grit. Others call it rock dust. It packs down like concrete but allows urine to drain thru. It is easy to clean and maintain. We have 2 pens with the grit and as long as you keep it swept it looks and smells fine. You can't leave them on grass or dirt in something that small. It's a disaster waiting to happen. If you'd like, I can post some pics of our pens with the grit.

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes please post some pics!

I can go bigger with my pen.(I have yet to build it) I trying to find out how large it needs to be before I build one.

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 2 mini nubians and a Nigerian in a pen roughly 16x40. They did fine in that area for several months.

I recently got movable electric netting and cleared some paths around my wooded/brushy area. I now let them out in anywhere from 1000- 2000 square feet to browse. They spend about half their time browsing and half lounging in the pen (they are free to come and go all day).

Their shelter is 8x10. They seem fine and actually lay there during the day during hot weather even though they have lots of outside shade.

Just as an

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have 2 mini nubians and a Nigerian in a pen roughly 16x40. They did fine in that area for several months.

I recently got movable electric netting and cleared some paths around my wooded/brushy area. I now let them out in anywhere from 1000- 2000 square feet to browse. They spend about half their time browsing and half lounging in the pen (they are free to come and go all day).

Their shelter is 8x10. They seem fine and actually lay there during the day during hot weather even though they have lots of outside shade.

Just as an
Thanks!