1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Ear Tags - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Two moms one house

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning and Raising Young Rabbits' started by Gary, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Jan 19, 2019
    Gary

Gary Chillin' with the herd

I have two pregnant does in 40 sq ft coop. Can i just leave them together or do i need to separate them?

2. Jan 19, 2019
    GypsyG

GypsyG Loving the herd life

Are they already well bonded with each other?

Suburban Rabbits likes this.
  3. Jan 19, 2019
    Gary

Yes i think so. They've been together for a week and half and seem to get along well

4. Jan 19, 2019
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

Best I can say is provide 2 nest boxes so they each have one and watch them carefully. I would also have another area set up incase you need to separate them.

Suburban Rabbits and GypsyG like this.
  5. Jan 19, 2019
    GypsyG

GypsyG Loving the herd life

If they have only been together for a week and a half, I'd add the nest boxes should be separated as far as possible within the enclosure.

We're they both bred on the same day?

6. Jan 19, 2019
    Gary

The buck has been with them that whole time. Im setting up something separate for him today

7. Jan 19, 2019
    DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Loving the herd life

Coexisting ok and bonded are not the same thing. Sure signs of bonding are mutual grooming, flopping near each other, and readily sharing sleeping areas and food/water dishes. When rabbits are pregnant they become super territorial (as if does could get more territorial lol), and may act hostile toward each other even if they were ok together before.

GypsyG likes this.
  8. Jan 19, 2019
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

Rabbits always have a pecking order. If the buck has been with the does, he may be keeping them distracted from each other; when you remove him (as you should, since you really don't need him annoying already pregnant does and you really don't need him driving them nuts and breeding them again when they kindle), the does may no longer co-exist peacefully. Even if you have enough space that they continue to get along, you may find that both does want the same nest box; this may result in both litters being lost. That said, people do manage to raise rabbits in colonies; having enough space and special places like nest boxes and removing the more "alpha" type personalities seem to be the keys.

GypsyG likes this.