Two possibly pregnant does with bloody discharge

Anquan81

Just born
Reaction score
We have two Nigerian dwarf does that could be as much as two months along in their pregnancy that are having clear vaginal discharge with some blood mixed in. They both seem like they’re not feeling completely well. Tails down and acting a bit lethargic. Neither have abnormal temperatures. Both are about 4 years old and have kidded multiple times with no issues. Both are still eating and drinking normally. I noticed the buck chasing one of them this evening, but it was hard to tell if she was interested in his advances or not. I haven’t noticed any discharge with other does (or these does) in heat in the past. Do they sometimes have heavier heats that have more discharge? I am hoping that it isn’t chlamydia or some other contagious disease.

Any thoughts, ideas, or questions would be helpful to help put my mind at ease.

If there were a miscarriage I don’t think we’d know, as I think the dogs would clean it up before we found it.

Attachments

• E7D9702B-85DA-4173-9174-487D22F76B29.jpeg
    E7D9702B-85DA-4173-9174-487D22F76B29.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 103
  • D530EFF5-A114-45E8-BC61-29DEDFD319EC.jpeg
    D530EFF5-A114-45E8-BC61-29DEDFD319EC.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 95C34475-53D9-49D1-ABD0-4630AB7C76CF.jpeg
    95C34475-53D9-49D1-ABD0-4630AB7C76CF.jpeg
    578.4 KB · Views: 101

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is odd...

And if they both miscarried at the same time... it would make me think it is... well... something.. disease, parasites, bad feed...

I would check to see if their gums look pale. ... but the photo below shows the inner eyelid... but same idea.
FAMACHAR-anaemia-guide.png

Of course... they could look anemic if it was a miscarriage with more blood than you saw because the dogs ate it up....

But... at least it is one more fact point to try to help narrow it down...

Personally I would just watch them carefully for the next few days and see how they do... especially if they continue with no temp. and are not anemic....

EXCEPT for the fact that you said they are a bit lethargic.

So... just how lethargic? And do you have a good vet?

Anquan81

Just born
Reaction score
That is odd...

And if they both miscarried at the same time... it would make me think it is... well... something.. disease, parasites, bad feed...

I would check to see if their gums look pale. ... but the photo below shows the inner eyelid... but same idea.
View attachment 81536

Of course... they could look anemic if it was a miscarriage with more blood than you saw because the dogs ate it up....

But... at least it is one more fact point to try to help narrow it down...

Personally I would just watch them carefully for the next few days and see how they do... especially if they continue with no temp. and are not anemic....

EXCEPT for the fact that you said they are a bit lethargic.

So... just how lethargic? And do you have a good vet?
One is more lethargic than the other, both readily come for feed. They’re probably a 3 on the FAMACHA. We have a good vet, I’m planning to call in the morning.

Anquan81

Just born
Reaction score
Did you call? What was his guess?
He said he thought it could be chlamydia, and advised us to treat everyone with la 300 and again in a week. He said if it is chlamydia then the discharge should change from pink/red to more brown. He said that they should/could also develop weepy eyes. He didn’t seem as concerned as I was after reading about chlamydia online. He did say that if it is chlamydia we can expect anywhere from 30-90% aborted pregnancies depending on whether this is the first year it has been in our herd. If it has been here for a year that number should be lower, if it is new this year it should be higher. He said treating with the antibiotic should help keep the number down.