Two questions: rotational grazing and hay

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What would the minimum size of the paddocks be for 6 does be in a rotational system? The paddocks will consist of browse and pasture. My hay pasture consists of 1/3 mix alfalfa, red clover, and timothy.

I've read some literature that says clover can be bad for dairy goats. That said, I've visited a few farms were they tether their does in clumps of white Dutch clover. Is it a red vs white clover issue or no issue at all?

We are in the process of purchasing 10+ acres across the road that are in soybeans now. If that goes thru, that will become a similar hay field. The hay mix I use is a great selling hay for show horses. I don't really want to lose out on that income source.

Thanks

Seth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It depends on how rich your pasture is, and how fast it grows. In the spring when it rains frequently and grows quickly, it will take the goats longer to eat through each paddock. But later in the summer when it is dry and the grass is growing slowly, you'll need more.

We use portable electric netting to rotate our goats through the pasture. In the spring, the paddocks are smaller. In the fall, they are much bigger because the grass grows so much more slowly. And we only leave them on each paddock for 3 days. (3 days is best for the grass and parasites.)

For reference, we have 6 does (three NDs and three full sized goats). In the spring, I'd say the paddocks are approximately 20x20. But later in the season when the grass is shorter or they are in an area with poorer grass, the paddocks can be much larger or we rotate them more often.

We made the mistake of making a 60x80 permanent paddock when we first got goats. I wish we had waited. My suggestion would be to use portable electric fencing until you have a good feel of how much area they can cover.

I hope that helps!
Seth

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks Seth. My plan is to have 4 acres devoted to rotational grazing. About a 1acre of that is actual browse with black berry vines, sweetgums,and locusts. The actual pasture is a mix of red clover, alfalfa, and timothy. The plan is to fence in the 4 acres then divide with electric net for the various paddocks.

Seth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Having a permanent fence around the whole thing is great. You'll be happy with that. And if you run an electric wire around it, you can tie your electric netting in anywhere.

One more thing... our goats don't like to be out at pasture for too long at a time, especially when it is sunny and hot. Whenever possible, we tether their paddock to their barnyard with a corridor of electric netting. That allows them to come and go all day. It does use up a lot more netting, of course.

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like we are on the same page. The barn will be on the west side of the fenced in area. The browse are is on the other end. The fenced in acreage is 4x4 woven with electric around it. The netting will run west to east creating the paddocks. Still playing with the electric setup. Thinking three strands inside, 6 in and 12 in from the ground then one on top. And one strand on the outside at 6 in to deter predators. Originally I wanted to fence the whole farm in hi tensile but I visited several farms and think a woven wire with hotwire strands looks to be more effective.