Two separate rabbits one dead, one improving

Rin

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yesterday, I discovered my Lop, dead on the bottom of her cage in my bedroom and in a panic rushed to check on my outside rabbits. My doe NZW is not only 100% but eating and pooping and peeing like a champ.

The buck however, didn't even seem to be breathing when I found him. I gently shook his side and he started breathing again and I slid his cage out and brought him inside. Upon closer inspection it seems he hadn't been eating at all or pooping and since bringing him in he wee'd a very little bit. I gave him water with a dropper and he seemed to perk up a little. I then felt his body and he seemed very bony. So I tried feeding him warmed 2% milk. He perked up even more. This morning he finally hopped off the top of his hide for his milk. Sniffed his food and then his water but wont take either. Still no poop.

I suspect he wasn't weaned before I got him. I'm new to rabbits and wasn't aware of how young he was when I brought him home. He's 4 weeks now I think. Am I handling this correctly? Is there anything else I should be doing for him? Is it possible he overheated? It's not cold at all here right now. I'm just generally baffled right now. I don't want to lose him. He is very sweet :(

I forgot to mention the Lop showed absolutely no signs of illness. I even held her in my lap and stroked her that very morning and when i put her back in she zoomed about like she always did. No sign of pain or weakness.

Rin

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He's peeing normally today... still no poop. Is it possible he has backup? How do I help a constipated bunny? Could be gas... should I give him gasx just in case? :<

MissDanni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Can't say I ever had a constipated rabbit before .... I have however had the issue with cats and dogs, and for that I always used canned pumpkin. Not sure about pumpkin and rabbits though .....

I'm sure someone will know.

Latest posts