Types of Guardians

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
For me horse and donkey or mule in a perimeter pasture goats on inside pasture. My dad use to ride a horse that killed to coyotes and shook a full grown gp like a rag doll. The gp lived cause it's hair have way
Sounds like a reasonable arrangement but if the mule, horse or donkey ends up not guarding then you have your pastures set up that way for no reason because you will have to buy a LGD regardless. The only animal besides LGD I have ever personally see guard with my own eyeballs is a llama. Our llama used to chase off coyotes and other critters. He would literally jump the fence to chase them off, was a good llama.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like a reasonable arrangement but if the mule, horse or donkey ends up not guarding then you have your pastures set up that way for no reason because you will have to buy a LGD regardless. The only animal besides LGD I have ever personally see guard with my own eyeballs is a llama. Our llama used to chase off coyotes and other critters. He would literally jump the fence to chase them off, was a good llama.
I have seen my horses chase coyotes, but that's more that they don't like dogs in their fields than anything, they weren't protecting anything. I don't worry about my 200 lb Mini horse though because he has 2 big horses in with him that would likely stomp anything that was hurting him.