U S A: SHEEP INDUSTRY. Revive it or just let it slowly die?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
What's the clue in their name and mascot?
TexMed BEEF Co.
info.jpg

Their mascot:
mascot.jpg

Anthony Sr.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The problem with the whole idea is that young people in the US are moving away from "menial" jobs, and farming in particular, as it just doesn't provide an adequate income or return on investment. It's also a LOT of hard, sweaty, physical work. Most young people would prefer to have their faces stuck to an electronic device, while situated in a comfy chair, blocking out reality with ear buds blasting ridiculous noise into their brains. It's so much easier to rely on the hard work done in other countries who import their products to us here for our pleasure and consumption. Not quite sure how that's going to work when the dollar crashes and nobody will accept it in payment. :hu
So True, I'm not that old (55 as 7/24/18), but it does seem like the younger(New Generation?) is LAZY ? They don't wanna sweat or risk getting Dirty it seems. I myself enjoyed working hard, because that made me felt like "I EARNED MY PAY" with My Brain and the sweat of my brow, not just my fingers.

Last edited:

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Anthony Sr. let me second T.O.R.'s answer to your previous question about the wisdom of raising your own lamb. way more than worth it. I went to the grocery store one Easter to look for a leg of lamb to serve and they wanted $78. for one small leg and I thought to my self, I can but the whole sheep for that and I did. bought a yearling katahdin ewe with a ram lamb for $100. raised him up and butchered him and bought another couple of ewe and I've been raising sheep ever since. go for it. if you like lamb then you've got nothing to loose.

Anthony Sr.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Anthony Sr. let me second T.O.R.'s answer to your previous question about the wisdom of raising your own lamb. way more than worth it. I went to the grocery store one Easter to look for a leg of lamb to serve and they wanted $78. for one small leg and I thought to my self, I can but the whole sheep for that and I did. bought a yearling katahdin ewe with a ram lamb for $100. raised him up and butchered him and bought another couple of ewe and I've been raising sheep ever since. go for it. if you like lamb then you've got nothing to loose.

I'll be heading to the Animal Auctions soon as I can, to see if I can get a Lamb Sheep cheap, I have ordered lamb meat online before, and it was a costly meat, But I did enjoy it. I do have 2 goats, had 3, but one died(accident) during last freeze in this part of East TX. (So it's in freezer now, no use wasting Good meat)...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll be heading to the Animal Auctions soon as I can, to see if I can get a Lamb Sheep cheap, I have ordered lamb meat online before, and it was a costly meat, But I did enjoy it. I do have 2 goats, had 3, but one died(accident) during last freeze in this part of East TX. (So it's in freezer now, no use wasting Good meat)...
You might be better off to buy from individuals. Auctions are where everybody sends their culls. What part of east Texas are you in? We used to live in Livingston, moved 3 years ago to the Tyler area.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
So far, my marketing has been to white people. I sell whole or half lambs, slaughtered and vacuum sealed for $10 a pound. Prices for cuts at the store range from $12 for lamb burger to $38 a pound for lamb chops.
I love lamb, I'd be happy to eat @greybeard's portion. But the prices Bay listed is why I don't buy it (that and no one else in the house appreciates it). I don't think I've seen $38/pound but Aus shoulder chops go for (IIRC) around $15/pound. Bay, send me some $10 lamb :)

I would like to raise a lamb for me to eat but as some of you already know, I have a "people problem" that wouldn't allow killing it.

Supper last night was lamb pot pie. We ate the rest tonight.
Bay is torturing me.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would like to raise a lamb for me to eat but as some of you already know, I have a "people problem" that wouldn't allow killing it.
So, get a lamb. When it reaches the appropriate size it "runs away" and a week or so later the grocery has a great sale on lamb and you buy in bulk! ;) Problem solved!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:yuckyuck See if there are any neighbor farms or sheep farms nearby where you can buy a lamb and let it grow there for butcher down the road. When it's ready you get it butchered, vac packed and pre-frozen, and bring it home to your freezer. May be a little more expensive than raising it yourself, but still much cheaper than store bought and you'll know where it came from, how it was raised, etc. I've asked @Mike CHS to purchase one of his this fall. I expect some time in September, time depending on when he gets a butcher dater set up. Side benefit is I get to meet Mike and his wife. :)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sadly Mike is a bit far for me to travel but you can have a nice mini vacation!
Yep, I'll have to look around to see if anyone is raising meat sheep locally. Who knows, maybe at some point the "people problem" won't be living here and I can raise a few dinners of various types. Of course DW mostly likes beef which is just a wee bit harder to work with than smaller animals.

FWIW, Vermont was a big sheep "capital" in the early to mid 1800's.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Out of the lamb that we recently took to slaughter, we sold 10 pounds to a couple that also bought half a hog from us and we sold another 10 pounds to our hay guy. After we give our DD and family some, we won't have much left. Watching ewe bellies grow...…..LOL