UC Treatment with AC & questions

Sooner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My weather was born in March 09, when we got him (May) he was banned. Last week (Monday)he started getting blocked with UC. He was taken to the vet (Tuesday) to have the end of his penis snipped off. At that time the vet told me I didn't need AC. After the goat getting some relief for a day or two he started to block up again, that is when I started treating with AC (Friday). Finally on Sunday he is able to go again.

In this process I have removed all feed from him and he is only getting grass, hay & tree limbs ect. In the last two days I have started giving a cup of feed(made for goats) in the mornings (split between two goats).

This goat is intended to be a 4H show goat for my daughter. My main question is will this be an ongoing problem that I will have to watch closely for? Is there anything that I can do as a preventive?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Once they have had UC issues, they're prone to it. He will need to be on an AC program until he goes to market. Not only should AC be in his feed and minerals, but you should consider bolusing with it periodically. Also keep Banamine on hand for the inflamation.

Sooner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Helmstead, as you already know I am behind the learning curve on this so please explain alittle more on both things you mentioned.

I do have minerals out for them that I can mix. Will it effect the nanny that is also in the pen?

What does bolusing with it periodically mean?

How will I know if there is inflamation?

Right now he is still on the 7 day treatment with the AC, should I start mixing the AC with the minerals now? Or wait till the 7 day treatment is over??

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
You can actually just buy minerals with AC in them...I think it's Manna Pro that makes them in a 5 lb bag. Or you can buy a feed that includes AC. It is fine for does (who also can get UC!). And yes, you can start it now.

A bolus dose would be a large dose of AC drenched, when the weather changes (which is when water consumption changes (oft reduces) and UC flares. (treatment dosage, not prevention dosage)

Here is a good page on it
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/stones.htm

Sooner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you VERY much, I will read the link. Once I get home I will see what the minerals & feed have in them. I may be back with more questions for you!!! :hugs

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I forgot to add - any time there are any crystals in the urine there is inflamation. They make micro scratches in the bladder all the way down through the plumbing - which can also turn into a UTI. This is why antibiotics are usually called for during treatment - to avoid infection causing greater swelling.

Sooner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Today will be the first day without AC drench. I have to say that I am nervous. They also don't seem to be eating any minerals. I had a friend that raised goats suggest that I continue to drench once a week, then once every two weeks ect until I see that he isn't going to clog back up. Do you have any thoughts on this?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Sounds like solid advice to me.

Try adding the minerals to his feed...see if that doesn't help. Suggestions for daily feeding *should* be on the pkg.

Sooner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes they are on the package. It is non-medicated and has no AC in it or the minerals. I will be checking the other farm stores when I run out of this for feed/minerals with AC.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
If you can't find feed/minerals containing AC locally, you can order it in pure form from Hoeggers.

Latest posts