UC Treatment with AC & questions

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I dont feed mine AC all the time because when you need it it wont work. I give mine theirs once a month if I feel they need it and if not when the seasons change.
I feel if you treat something thats not there and then they get it the meds wont work. If your feeding is balanced then there shouldnt be a problem. I only give my guys whole oats and not many of them and alfalfa pellets. I dont feed my guys sweet feed either.They also get hay.

Sooner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just a short update!

So far everything is going great, everything is continuing to flow (sorry) he seems to be acting normal in every way other than be spoiled rotten from all the attention. As it stands he is getting Goat feed once aday and not much of that along with hay & minerals free choice and as much grazing as he wants.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Also keep Banamine on hand for the inflamation.
Have you ever used ketoprofen? It's a stout NSAID like flunixin, aka Banamine..

Banamine was one of the first things I asked my vet about when it came to my little UC guy, but he basically said ketoprofen was better because it's just as potent as Banamine, but less risky to the GI, liver, and kidneys.

It's only labeled for IV use, isn't labeled for goats, and isn't recommended to be used more than 5 days.. That said, we've been hitting my little goat with it at about 3.3mg/kg IM 1x/day for...jeez...I really dunno how much of it we've run through him, but he's had more of it than anybody would recommend.

No adverse reactions so far... We've even given it twice with Dexamethasone -- a real corticosteriod -- and havn't seen any adverse reactions. Giving an NSAID with a corticosteroid is generally considered a no-no because it increases the risk of GI bleeds...

Little guy still eats like a pig.

Anyway, just a thought.. Next time you talk to your vet, you might run it by them and see what they say.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I found this on www.merckvetmanual.com

Urinary calculi result from mineral deposits in the urinary tract. Difficult and painful urination is evidenced by straining, slow urination, stomping of the feet, and kicking at the area of the penis. Blockage of the flow of urine generally is seen only in intact or castrated males. The blockage may rupture the urinary bladder, resulting in a condition known as waterbelly, and cause death. It is common when diets with high concentrations of cereal grains are fed (feedlot lambs, pet goats, etc). Affected animals excrete an alkaline urine that has a high phosphorus content. The incidence of urinary struvite calculi can be reduced by lowering phosphorus consumption to minimal levels and maintaining a calcium:phosphorus ratio >2:1. The use of anionic salts such as ammonium chloride (0.5% of the complete diet), dietary tetracycline, adequate vitamin A (or β-carotene) intake, and increased dietary intake of NaCl have proved beneficial. Affected animals drenched with ammonium chloride (7-14 g/day for 3-5 days) may show a good response. In range sheep and goats, the disease is associated with the consumption of forages having a high silica content.

Sooner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Here we are at the first of Oct. Our little goat has done well all summer with little or no treatment other than proper diet. I haven't had to give him any more of the AC after slowly bring him off of it. I am now watching him closely with the the temp. change.

Thanks to all of you that responded to my post!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Glad you had better luck with UC than I did... My guy's still living and begging to be loved on and attacking his hay as always, but he's definitely worse for the wear....he'll never be a breeder, put it that way. I figure the ramifications of his bout with UC will eventually get the best of him, but we'll see.

It's so good to hear a true success story every now and then, especially with potentially fatal problems like this. Good job!

:clap