Udder Injury, Pink Milk

farmerjan

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 16, 2016
Messages
3,619
Reaction score
11,787
Points
468
Location
virginia
If there are clots of milk (mastitis) as well as some blood clots, AND her temp is running that high, then she likely has some sort of an infection. Usually they aren't wanting to eat though.....
I would definitely think that a vet visit/consultation is necessary at this point.
Coliform mastitis usually get watery and a high temp....Klebsiella mastitis they will quit eating, milk drop to nothing and they will be subclinical temp. Kleb can kill them in 12 hours if not caught and it really needs high power antibiotics IV. Common if you are using "green" (not dried) sawdust from oak trees that have been dragged through mud or dirt. Most all the farmers here will "cook" a pile of "green" ( just sawn not dried) sawdust, under a tarp, for a week or so before using in the barns.
Coliform usually will respond pretty good to antibiotics, but the sooner the better. Either can have blood but the milk is usually very watery.
I still think part of this is from the injury, but she may have gotten some bacteria that is going into mastitis also.

It is really hard to even make suggestions without seeing her. I am not a vet, but have been around dairy cattle for well over 40 years so have seen some cases.
I still call the vet whenever I see something I am not sure of or that doesn't "resolve " in 24 hours, to where I feel we are making progress. But we have also established a very good relationship with the vets over the years. And they all know that I am not a big "antibiotic" person so they don't hesitate to tell me to use one because I don't think they are the answer to every little problem; so don't use and abuse them.

Staph and Strep bacterias are both on the skin, and most anywhere, and can get into the udder and cause problems. Common, and can be hard to get rid of so getting on it sooner than later is better.
 

abraeri

Ridin' The Range
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
60
Reaction score
33
Points
68
I do appreciate the advice of those who have much experience because we are very much newbies (we just finished our first year of raising these goats. We have a herd of 2 adults who both kidded two kids this year, and a 1 year old.

We use straw for bedding.

The symptoms do seem so wack. She has a great appetite, drinks tons of water. Just checked her temp; 105.6. She is breathing labored and starts panting with slight exertion. Her udder has some hard areas and a little hot. She isn't too keen on her kids nursing it I'm guessing it's sore.

I mean at this point I'm thinking it could even be worms. I would put her Famacha at the question mark. I am giving her raw garlic and she's on a herbal treatment though.

Will keep you all updated anyway. Hopefully can get our vet to visit tomorrow or at least go pick up some antibiotics.
 

farmerjan

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 16, 2016
Messages
3,619
Reaction score
11,787
Points
468
Location
virginia
If her udder is hot and doesn't 't want the kids nursing it is definitely gone into mastitis. You do need to get on it ASAP or it could cause damage to the udder. You may have to force her to allow the kids to nurse, or to keep her milked out. She needs to be kept as empty as often as you can. And sorry to say, she most likely will need antibiotics to catch it before it goes systemic and gets into her blood stream and causes problems within her body not just the udder. Sounds like she may have a touch of resp infection with the labored breathing.

Sorry... but at least you are being very diligent for her sake.
 

abraeri

Ridin' The Range
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
60
Reaction score
33
Points
68
I'm just surprised it progressed so fast. I did put her kids on her when I went to check her temperature.

I'm just praying she doesn't get any worse by morning because there is nothing I can do for her tonight. If I don't get a reply from the vet, I'll be heading straight to TSC to get some Penicillin

On that note, what is your opinion on medicine shelf lives? We have some penicillin from last time a goat got pneumonia. It's probably at least half a year old and it's been punctured more that the recommended amount of time.
 

abraeri

Ridin' The Range
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
60
Reaction score
33
Points
68
Today morning temp is 104.8. still shallow breathing. She won't let me milk her but she let her kids drink like usual.

Going to get some meds from the vet; just confused now on whether I'm dealing with pneumonia or mastitis
 

abraeri

Ridin' The Range
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
60
Reaction score
33
Points
68
So update her temperature is lowering. I have penicillin on hand in case we need to give it, but I'm debating whether I want to give it tonight or wait until morning.

She's still eating, drinking, chewing cud, etc. Kids are nursing and I don't feel any lumps in the udder anymore. But you can tell she is uncomfortable as she stands kind of to a side and her breathing is very shallow.

What is your opinions on giving the penicillin? Our vet suggested Draxxin which I heard is good drug for respiratory illnesses, but very expensive.
 

farmerjan

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 16, 2016
Messages
3,619
Reaction score
11,787
Points
468
Location
virginia
I would go on and use the Pen if you are not drinking the milk yourself.,. I am allergic to pen but do use it on occasion.
Yes , Draxxin is very good, expensive, but normally a one shot thing. If you don't use any antibiotics often, will the vet give (sell) you a single shot? Ours will if we ask.... but we always keep stuff on hand in the fridge in case. Draxxin is also very good on pinkeye.
I would find a needle, and keep it with the pen bottle to use to just go into the bottle now and not be putting different ones in and out. The holes will get too big, mostly worry about contamination.... but I don't know of a single farmer that hasn't used whatever they have in hand to draw a shot if they needed to.
She may just be able to shake off the mastitis part, maybe just due to the injury, but the respiratory part will cause damage to her lungs if she labors with her breathing for a long period of time.
Do you keep the pen refridgerated? If not, then I wouldn't use it. It will have an exp date and we have used it well past the date, but we keep all our drugs in the fridge (except sometimes the LA200 or 300 gets left out).... but we are often doing vaccinations so they are always refridged so they all just go in for safe keeping.
 

abraeri

Ridin' The Range
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
60
Reaction score
33
Points
68
Ok, so tonight her temp is down to 103.9 which is great. Lets her kids drink, overall looking brighter and more alert. We decided not to give the penicillin tonight. It is kept refrigerated and I have at least 50 ml in it which should be enough to give her a full course. It hasn't passed its expiry either.

I believe the vet was intending to give us one shot, but wasn't able to communicate well with her as she is pretty busy. If based on her condition tomorrow we want to go ahead with the antibiotics, I think we will start with the penicillin since we have that. It also worked for us previously.

Her breathing is still shallow, I don't want to call it labored. It is just faster than normal. And she isn't panting anymore; it wasn't too hot today either and we got a good rain which was nice. It is hard to make the decision of whether or not to medicate based on her symptoms.

Thanks again for all of the advice.
 

farmerjan

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 16, 2016
Messages
3,619
Reaction score
11,787
Points
468
Location
virginia
If she is acting and doing better, than I would do a day to day basis. Shallow can be partly due to the temps that are getting better as is her temp. Sounds like she is fighting it off. Let her system work on it. If it changes, goes up, or anything then hit her with the pen and go full course. See how she is and once you make a decision to do it, then make sure she gets full treatment so it does get "killed" in her system. Some of them seem to be able to marshal their systems to fight things but the weather can make it difficult.
 

abraeri

Ridin' The Range
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
60
Reaction score
33
Points
68
So tonight her temperature is up to 104.4, but she is acting much better. We did have a much warmer day today than yesterday though (by 10 degrees) so I'm chalking it up to that.

She looks brighter, not being as stand-offish, and her breathing seems a little slower. I listened to her breathing with a stethoscope and there was no rasping. It is fast though.

I think the mastitis may be getting worse so I'll try to stay on top of that with some hot compresses and massages. She still lets her kids drink though so that's great.
 

Latest posts

Top