Udder Injury, Pink Milk

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Today on of my goat mama's tore a little bit off the back of her udder. It's probably taken one layer of skin off in a triangular shape. Hardly any bleeding. When I noticed it I sprayed it with iodine then wrapped it with some triple antibiotic. She is still nursing her kids (but separated at night) so they nursed while she ate her nightly grain ration. At the end for some reason I thought to squirt some milk out and found that it was pink like calamine lotion.

I really don't want this to turn into mastitis, so what would be the best course of treatment? For tonight I'm going to massage him with an udder balm and spray some iodine on it. I don't want to use antibiotics if I don't have to; but preventing an infection is the top priority.

Thanks.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the process of her getting the skin torn off, she could very well have bumped it to the point where she caused the tiny blood vessels that feed the udder to make milk, to break. It is most likely just a little blood in the milk. Plus, the kids are going to butt her to get the milk flow going, that is natural, but it will cause it to continue to have some short episodes of the blood vessels leaking into the milk supply. Don't do any antibiotics unless you see definite mastitis or the udder gets hot like from infection. We see this pink milk often in cows if they have slipped on the concrete and gone down hard on their udder, or if another cow gets rammy or something. If the kids are keeping her milked out the capilaries will heal in a few days, but their butting her will cause it to take a little longer.

Last edited:

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance. The area around the tear has hardened a bit. The kiddos do keep her milked out throughout the day, but she has two boys, who are pretty aggressive in their bumping.

What would you suggest to treat her so it won't get worse?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since you are letting her kids nurse, there isn't much you can do to prevent the milk from being pink due to their butting the udder. Time should take care of it. Just as long as she doesn't get hot, hard or lumpy, let it be. If you were strictly hand milking, it would probably clear a little quicker as washing and wiping down the udder is a bit easier on her than their butting. Just as long as you check her at least once a day, give it about a week. I'd take a few squirts to see if it is still pink every day, but a soft pliable udder is the best indication that she is okay. A little udder cream, bag balm or something should help the outside skin heal. One of my dairy farmers used to use the "Aveeno" brand of hand lotion on his cows udders. Good for chaffed skin and with the oatmeal in it promoted healing and softness.

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I milked her this morning and it was still pink but not as pink as yesterday night. However there are clots of milk and blood that get suck in her teat. I'm concerned that those clots could damage her teats; is that a valid concern? I'm going to be checking in her regularly to make sure the kids are able to drink and that the teat isn't clogged up.

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Update; she's running a 106 fever (I know that is very high). My fault for not checking her temperature earlier; but aside from being a little standoffish she is acting okay (chewing cud, drink water, eating).

Going to get a vets opinion and probably a course of antibiotics.

Just one thing after the other. :barnie

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Was she outside all day?
Yes, probably antibiotics. Do you have banamine on hand to take her temp down? May need use something like Today antibiotics. But don’t know if the kids should get it
Hope she gets better!!

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes she was and it was hot outside. Which is also why I didn't think much of her panting. Hindsight is 20/20; should have taken her temp anyway.

No banamine but going to get a prescription for it asap

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I did take it after the temperature had cooled down a bit. It will probably lower a bit over night because we have been having really hot days and cool nights. But I don't think it will lower much