Udder Size

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Saanens tend to be as both of you say. High yield, big udder at miking, shrunk bag after, hard to dry off! Lower output at long lactation. But for a homestead milker, a good choice. My Saanen x Nubians have proven good production, easier to dry off, generally. Some have a tighter udder, smaller, less volume....but only 20% or so less. Still good. It is individual with all the animals....what genetics show most.

My Boers all had excellent production for their kids. Wasn't interested in more. Those nubxboer I had were mainly kept as kid producers. Meat market. Again, some showed as markedly heavier Nubians and milked fine, you had to know the cross to think any Boer. Old style nubs were bulkier.

Lactation takes WAY MORE feed input to maintain the doe! It takes far more for her body, overall, to continue production. But meeting those needs keeps her happy and healthy.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our Boers lines are,
One line started with 3/4 boer 1/4 nubian (the thick style), that line is now 15/16 Boer 1/16 Nubian.
Second line started as 100% toggenburg, that line is now 3/4 Boer 1/4 Toggenburg
Third line is 1/2 Boer 1/2 Nubian(thick style again)

Trying to put better udders and capacity on our Boers, plus I love our Toggenburg.

Latest posts