Uncontrollable horse tantrums (please help)

Benjii

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am seeking advice on how to prevent, handle, train my geldings "tantrums", i call them these because he literally becomes inconsolable during them.

I am 19 have been riding for over 12 years, i have had Ben ( 18yrold, 16.2hh, warmblood/TB) for nearly 4 years now. He is a quirky boy who does not act or look his age. Previously, when he is not impressed or excited with something (e.g me accidentally grabbing the rein before a jump, setting him off balance, or another horse acting up) he would squeal, pig root, buck ect. But i would always have him in a controllable zone through implementing schooling techniques.

Lately however, wether it is a twig breaking, or a young horse galloping up to him across the fence line he goes into these fits... its like hes a completely different horse. He's squealing, snorting, bellowing, caprioleing, pig routing, bucking, launching forward, backwards, and as of the past 3 months he has started haunching his back, crouching low to the ground and striking out with front and back legs. The more i touch him with my legs, reins or seat the worse he gets, he starts twitching and shaking his head. He literally feels like he is going to explode. This almost always occurs in the lane ways (which consist of electric fences) during our cool down walk around the tracks after a ride.

I have tried numerous things, comforting him, distracting him by giving him task such as leg yielding, half halting, pushing him forward, circles, loose rein, short rein, riding with other riders.... i do not avoid areas with new excited horses, and have been working hard on his response to my hands and leg... but none of this works once he gets in this state.

Ben has bolted before, and he is a bolt and buck horse. I really would like to fix this before it gets to that stage ever again.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He does not sound like he is much of a pleasure to ride. I would seriously get a good trainer involved before you wind up in the hospital. From what your saying this boy is escalating in his behaviour.
I have nothing to offer you in advice. Maybe someone else does.

Benjii

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thats the problem, when he is not throwing these rareish tantrums he is incredibly well behaved and a real joy to ride. I have worked with trainers on his ground manners and talked to a few instructors, who have all given me great advice that does help with minor things. I just am worried about not only me but him, hes getting older and he could seriously injure himself. I dont think this is a nasty thing, he feels confused and scared... but i dont understand why...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pet physic? I do believe there are people who can communicate with animals, way out in front of the rest of us. Might be worth looking into.

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Have you had him vet checked by an experienced equine physio? It sounds like something's hurting and he's doing everything he can to get away from it. It could be the tiniest thing, they can feel a fly land on them, pretty sure they'd notice something digging into their spine or rubbing the wrong way.

If its not pain, is there an experienced behaviouralist nearby who can watch him while you interact? Sometimes someone else can see something you can't from where you're sitting and better if they know what they're looking for. Especially if it's happening in the same area each time.
There's even the possibility that he's going blind, I know some animals start freaking out or getting aggressive for no reason as they get older and their human doesn't notice that they actually can't see.
Could also be a type of dementia or that since he's a warmblood with TB he sounds like a highly strung horse already before these tantrums. Animals rarely do anything without a reason, even if you can't see it he might be feeling it or hearing it. If he is panicking at the same spot when riding, have you tried walking him up there instead?

I don't know, there are thousands of things it could be, obviously without actually seeing it it's much harder to say what it might be.

Benjii

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I will definitely consider having an instructor walk around the track and observe the behaviour. He has come up sore in the hamstrings 2 twice this year already (due to paddock hooning), and pulled his shoulder as well. The thing is though that if he was sore he would carry on when im working him in the arena. He is highly strung at times, until about 11yrs old he had to be lunged for 30 minutes before the rider could get on. But see when hes not being a bronc hes the quietest horse on the property. The behaviour also doesnt occur at the same spot, as i mentioned earlier he has been set off by another horse stepping on a twig. It is different to spooking, he is consolable when he spooks and can usually be calmed down after 10 minutes. it honestly feels like he is cracking the ****s to be honest... and the more i correct him the more he squeals and behaves aggressively, he also starts kicking out at nearby horses... it was so bad earlier this week that i got off... i know that is a big no no. but he instantly stopped. as soon as i was next to him and patting him he started nuzzling me... and went back to his sweet personality... i really really dont want to teach him that if he behaves like this i will get off and i have previously riden through every ****ty thing he has ever done... but i just... idk.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
This may not be what you want to hear...so just scroll past if you wish....I also had a beautiful and very loved gelding, named Buck (that should have been my first clue when I bought him) and he was a stunning buckskin and I'd always wanted a buckskin and I was young and totally smitten with this boy. Most times he was a dream to ride and then for no reason I could fathom, he would go ape sheet crazy and when he threw me, would try to stomp my head with his front hooves...luckily I managed to roll under the rails and get out of the way...I was advised that he needed an experienced good trainer...found one...brought him there and it was not cheap...a week later I got a phone call from them and they asked me to please come to their farm to talk to them in person...I did...they did not feel there would be any improvement...they were not willing to continue trying to train him as he was unpredictable and dangerous and not worth having anyone hurt or killed :( I was heart broken...they did not want me taking him back and risking my life...some horses, just as any living thing can have a "loose wire" and there was a problem here....they offered to take him to the stock yards for me and I agreed, left crying, but knew as a Mom with two little ones, I couldn't risk this. He was beautiful...and even after trying to pound my head and body, he would all of a sudden change and be affectionate and such a sweetie....that made it harder, but I had to face reality.

Had no clue that a few weeks later I would get a check from the stock yard....that was really hard and felt like it was blood money :( Used it to help pay for the attempted training.

Sorry to make this so long...but I do understand...and I have been there, done that...my advice...hard as it is...don't risk your well being...you have the rest of your life to live ....hugs to you!

Benjii

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He is family, so selling him isn't an option, i think ill investigate trainers/behaviourists. And hopefully they will pick up something i am doing wrong, i have been pushing him latly. Working really hard on getting close to the limit of his temperament boundaries and maintaining control. Through mini gallop exercises, collection exercises, open paddocks and being around unstable young horses. I was really hoping this would help fix the minor issues he has always presented. But after talking to other riders this morning i am concerned he may be a horse who once hes had enough hes had enough and thats that. It's hard because i have always been taught that if you ride through the worst that your horse is capable of then he will ususally back off since he has learnt it wont get you off... but i dont want to be afraid when i ride, its ment to be enjoyable and with uni exams comming up, my usually stress release of riding seems to be turning into a stress inducer.

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Maybe he's better as a companion on the ground or a paddock mate and get a new horse to ride if you don't want to part with him?
He well could be throwing a literal tantrum having had enough, animals have personalities too. Perhaps it's not control issues but trust issues? Sometimes forcing something won't make it go away, it makes it worse. He may trust you on the ground, but not on his back because you keep forcing him near these things when he isn't ready. Do you always finish on a good note having done something right or do you finish when he says he's had enough?
Is it a certain time limit once you're riding him does he throw a tantrum at a certain point after say 30 mins or an hour or is it totally random?

Latest posts