1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Undersized Ramling

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Sheep' started by Childwanderer, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017
    Childwanderer

Childwanderer Chillin' with the herd

Hello! I have an 11 month-old polled GCN ram who seems very small for his age. He's short enough in comparison to the ewes he is expected, and eager, to cover, that he doesn't seem capable. The horned ewe at the rear has taken to despise him, not only refusing to stand for him but occassionally chasing him around the paddock. At 11 months, can one hope that he will still mature, both in size and form? (This picture was taken in cold rain, accounting for the bedraggled appearance of the subject matter.)
    upload_2017-12-6_16-59-28.jpeg

2. Dec 6, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

First, I no longer have sheep, and when I did they were not for breeding. I do however have goats, not sure if sheep do the same or not but with some of our goats this year they refused to be bred to a young smaller buck. They like the big boys. Plain and simple. They will butt the run from them tuck their tail anything to avoid the small youngster... the second we put a big boy in they stand perfect.

Your boy may be a slower grower... or stunted... don't know about your breed of sheep.

3. Dec 6, 2017
    Sheepshape

Sheepshape True BYH Addict

Oh,some ewes are VERY picky, others not so much. I've had ewes call to a huge ram in a neighbouring field when they have a smaller ram of 'their' own field. Also ewes tend to prefer rams of their own breed.

As for is he capable?....almost certainly yes. Some ewes will be very accommodating and squat down to small rams.

Remember, too, that inexperienced rams will pretty much chase any ewe, but the ewe will only stand when she is in season, and that's only for a day or two every 3 weeks. At that time, having avoided, butted and generally shown her distaste for a ram, she may well seek him out, present herself and generally ingratiate herself to him (well at least for 36 hours or so).

Will he grow? Maybe....if he's fed well, has normal sized parents and didn't have any illness in his 11 months which could cause permanent stunting.

Can you borrow a 'big boy'? Otherwise good luck with your little man.

mysunwolf and Southern by choice like this.
  4. Dec 6, 2017
    Childwanderer

Childwanderer Chillin' with the herd

Well, he did have a case of full white-eye-membrane-anemia back in September, two weeks after we brought him home. We dewormed him, gave him some red B-12 vitamin supplements and supplemental alfalfa and he seemed to recover quickly. Do you think that would stunt his growth?

5. Dec 7, 2017 at 4:11 AM
    Sheepshape

Sheepshape True BYH Addict

It would slow him up, but probably not cause him to have permanent stunting. Give him some ram mix/pellets etc when you can to boost his growth.

mysunwolf and Childwanderer like this.